Part 20: Commander Lychee Pawah

Commander Pawah knelt before the dais, naked save for the bandages covering her wounds.  A sweet incense filled the air, and the hum of the Pale Garden warship, The Jackal, could be felt through the floor and the walls.  Behind her was a deep trench where the bodies of those who had displeased the Primus lay beaten and broken.  Those that survived would be given a chance to take root under a new master, those that didn't would be buried at White Lawn in Lady Belladonna's bone garden.  Lychee hoped she wouldn't have to face the trials of the pit.  Judgement in the Culling Room was her punishment for failure.

Primus Kell stood large and imposing, the tallest human woman Pawah had ever seen.  Her helmet was tucked under her arm, a single huge braid hung over her broad shoulders.  Primus Verbadine sat in a floating chair designed to effortlessly carry her excessive weight.  Her heavy breathing could be heard through the vents of her helmet.  It was Verbadine who ordered Lychee snatched out of the infirmary and brought before her.  It was her inquisition which needed to be weathered.

"Your team captured one of the refugees and you let him escape?" Verbadine's voice hissed through her filters.

"The ship was under attack, and he caught us by surprise..." Pawah stopped.  The Primus never wanted excuses, only assurances and results.  "Yes, Primus Verbadine.  He escaped, but we were able to put our training to the test, and retrieve real world data."

"You also lost two centurions and an Amazon class ship," Primus Kell reminded.  Her face was stern, unforgiving.  "As the highest ranking surviving officer onus falls upon you."

"I am a simple flower in my lady's garden, Primus, but I have witnessed first hand the truth of the rumors.  The refugees are not alone.  While I did battle with Subject 21 the ship was compromised by his allies."  Lychee looked up from the floor.  "I pledge to do better next time."

"You believe you will survive this Culling, girl?" hissed Primus Verbadine.

"I wish to, but I am at your mercy."

"Failure can not be tolerated."

"Yet her mission was not a failure," her master interrupted.

His voice echoed through the chamber as he entered from one of the many hidden passages built into the ship.  Behind him was Xavier, a woman more machine than human.  He'd personally trained them both as he did all of the centurions.  He stopped a respectful distance away from the Primus, his hands clasped behind his back.  He wore a black suit with red piping, and a half-cape with hooded cowl.  At his hip was the hilt of a plasmatic edge, a weapon many had come to call Belladonna's Justice.

"What are you doing here?" the seated Primus asked.

"The Jackal is my ship, gifted me by our mistress."

"Yes, we know she dotes on her favorite pet."

Primus Verbadine waved her hand dismissively.  Her seat carried her off the dais and over to him.  Xavier dropped to a knee and bowed her head.  The Primus waited for him to do the same, but only received a nod of the head.  She sneered and brought her conveyance over to Lychee.

"This inquisition is for Commander Pawah.  So I ask again, why are you here?"

"I'm here to make sure one of my best isn't fed to the pit arbitrarily," he responded as he pulled back his cowl.

Primus Kell donned her helmet, and stepped down from the dais.  "Are you implying the judgement of the Primus is fickle?"  Her voice boomed through her filters, making her sound like a growling canamarian.

He took a deep bow toward Primus Kell.

"I would never say such a thing about the Primus sisterhood, Kell... yet some among you have let power become more important than the wisdom of when to use it." The sidelong look towards Primus Verbadine was purposeful.

"Insolence," she hissed, her seat sliding back.

Tendrils of frost slithered from her hands, and Lychee could feel her nano freezing in her veins.  Xavier cried out as she fell over, her cybernetics growing icy.  Lord Scorpion fought against her power, refusing to bow.  She raised her fists and the power bestowed by Lady Belladonna flowed forth.  The air in Lychee's chest seized, her body too cold to function.  Suddenly she wished for the pit, a challenge she could surmount.  Belladonna's was the power of the gods, and her Primus wielded it like avenging angels.

Justice howled to life in an arc of red plasma that stopped just shy of Primus Verbadine's throat.

"Lady Belladonna's justice applies to all, even Primus who waste their power tormenting loyal troopers," he warned, his voice quivering against the winter frost.

"You will show the Primus respect."  Her voice also quivered, but out of fear.

"My loyalty is to my lady and no one else.  The rest of you must earn my respect."

"Bettina, Scorpion, enough," Primus Kell interjected.  Her hand rested on the massive cannon at her hip.

The cold abruptly vanished, and Lychee could breathe again.  Belladonna's Justice quieted with a snarl.  Scorpion stepped away, and clipped his weapon back to his belt.

"This isn't over," Primus Verbadine hissed.

"It is," boomed Primus Kell.  "Commander Pawah has received our warning," she said with a nod towards Lychee.  "Come."

The Primus left in a swish of cloaks.  Lord Scorpion walked over to the dais and took a seat.

"I've failed you, master.  I'm sorry.  I tried t-"

"Tell me about him."

"Yes, master.  He calls himself Spider, and he... he looks just like you only a bit older.  One would think the two of you related."

"That is impossible.  I have no family other than the Pale Garden."

"The Garden is all we need."

To be continued...