Part 14: The Wing Tikka Gang

The preparations are complete, Tikka

"Perfect, Zili.  Inform the others."

Xiup Tikka was a short Xnean Xnarn with teal and yellow feathers, and a belly grown fat from opulent living.  He'd been banished from the Great Roost because of moves made against a number of Armada Admirals, and in his exile he'd created a trade empire.  The Xnean had no place for Kings and the like, but Xiup was a student of human history, and he fashioned himself a smuggler king.  His loyal subjects worked diligently to organize his inventory.  The lower decks of Alpha Arietis Station were his kingdom where the desperate and unscrupulous came to pay homage.  If it could be found within the FGG, Tikka could get it, and his wares were always available to the highest bidder.

"Tikka, I've done a background check on this Mr. Theraphosa.  On the surface he's a farmer and investor, clean."

"And?  You wouldn't bother me, Rook-38, unless there was something worth hearing," Xiup leaned forward, curiosity making him eager.

"Under the surface he has done business with The Song Brothers, Mrs. No, The 101 Syndicate, and Pike Company," explained the series 5 construct.  "He's a legitimate buyer, and a smuggler in his own right.  It might be wiser to make the agreed upon transaction and part ways."

Xiup Tikka studied the construct.  Unlike most of the FGG races, the Xnean utilized automatons.  They were utilitarian with no free will or higher-level problem solving.  Nothing like the constructs used by humans.  Xiup had won Rook-38 in a game of chance, and immediately set about unshackling the machine's logic chips.  The construct had become part of his inner circle quickly.  In most instances he valued Rook-38's opinion above others.

"I have a buyer willing to pay Va-Pu star crystals for a healthy male Earther."  Xiup rubbed his hands together, imagining the feel of the highly valued currency.

"Give me three of your diop and 48 standard hours, and I'll bring you an Earther male."  The steel menace in Rook-38's voice sent a shiver down Tikka's spine.

Xiup took a hard look at his diop, dwarven featherkind from the moons of the homeworld.  The egg shaped dwarves were docile, dim witted, and strong.  The Xnean Xnarn had used them as slave labor for nearly 3000 standard years.  For a moment Xiup wondered if the construct could pull it off with just three diop.  Then his thoughts drifted back to the promise of star crystals, and the 500,000 credits each was worth.

"The buyer is already on its way, and if we don't provide, someone else will."

"I understand."  The construct moved towards the exit, weaving its way through the little diop.  It stopped and turned his orange Low-Face towards Xiup on his high throne.  "I calculate a potentially dangerous level of risk."

"I calculate an excessively high reward."  Xiup ran his tongue across his chipped beak.

Rook-38 nodded, and left Xiup to his thoughts.  Xiup had risen to power through calculated risk, but this was his moment.  One Va-pu star crystal was rare, but the buyer offered four. It was an offer he couldn't refuse.  Xiup made up his mind.  He stood, and all of his diop stopped in their tracks.  He left his storage hall/throne room.  Twelve of the little featherkind followed, the others went back to work.  He projected his thoughts to the little workers, the dozen flowed ahead of his waddling form to fulfill his desires.  By the time he reached his surveillance office his diop were waiting with pillows to cushion his chair, and light refreshment.  He mentally thanked them, though he didn't have to.  Xiup Tikka was a kind master.

Roghlan was waiting for him.

"The target's ship is docking now, Tikka.  Why don't we take them at the airlocks?" the red furred cananamarian asked.  "Quick and easy.  They'll be unprepared."