Chapter 15

I was walking out of class when suddenly Carson called my name. Whirling around, my eyes grew wide when I saw Carson walking towards me. There was a frown on his face and I stared him, wondering what he wanted.

      "Hey," Carson said. "One of the waiters called in sick last minute today. It's going to be really busy at the restaurant, so I need you to take his shift. Is that okay?"

       Stunned, I froze for a moment, realizing what that meant. I stared at Carson in horror, unsure of what to say because his request required me to work while Serena sang. It meant that I wouldn't be able to sing for her and I had no idea how to respond.

       "I really need you to help out," Carson said, his eyes pleading.

      "Okay," I said, feeling sick. "I'll help."

      "Thank you." He smiled, but I couldn't smile back. Not when I felt like I would throw up. "I'll see you in the evening."

        Carson walked off and I stayed where I was, panicking. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what Serena would do. Freaking out, I knew I had to warn her.

*****

       "I'm so, so sorry," I told Serena, watching as her face dropped. "Carson really needed me to help him and I couldn't say no. I didn't have any reason to, so I had to agree to help out. I'm so sorry."

       "What are we going to do?" Serena said, horrified. "Nivenah... people are going to find out. They're going to hate me. Everything I worked so hard for is going to get ruined."

       Serena wasn't moving. She sat on my couch, her eyes wide with horror as she stared at me. I stared back, feeling my heart sink as I realized just how scared Serena was. I so badly wanted to help her, but I didn't know how I would.

       "You have to sing," I said softly. "Tell the audience you're sick and that's why your voice sounds different. They'll... have to believe it."

      "My voice is horrible," Serena said quietly. "There's no way they'll believe it."

      "Trust me, they adore you. They'll believe you even if you said the earth was flat."

       I was trying to make Serena smile, but she didn't react to my joke. Instead she stared at me, tearing up a bit, and my heart sunk. Although a part of me was angry at Serena and had wanted her secret to come out, I hated seeing her so sad and scared. Despite everything, I never wanted to put Serena in this situation.

      "It's just for one day," I said gently. "You can do this, okay? Fake being sick, sing your heart out, and then everything will be okay. Okay?"

      "Okay," Serena said, straightening herself out. "Everything is going to be okay."

      "I like the sound of that." I smiled.

      Thankfully, Serena finally smiled at me and I grew relieved. I wasn't sure how her performance would go, but I hoped for the best. Despite everything, I would always hope for the best for Serena.

*****

       I was taking the orders of a family who sat at a table near the stage. Glancing at Serena, I saw her standing on stage, her eyes wandering around the crowd. She looked anxious as she rocked on her heels and my heart went out to her. Usually before her performances she radiated confidence and would glow with joy, but she now looked as if she had been thrown on stage and was being forced to sing.

       Forcing my eyes away, I finished writing the family's order down and I walked back to the kitchen to give the order. I quickly then went back to wait another table and I watched as Serena pulled the mic closer to her, ready to start.

       Once I reached my next table, I heard her cough. Everyone's attention went to her and I froze, wondering what would happen.

       "Sorry guys, I'm sick," Serena said, coughing once again. "I might sound different today, so please understand."

       Serena's voice sounded strained and I nodded at her, letting her know her act was believable. People around me cheered for her, encouraging her to sing, and Serena smiled. And soon the song Set Fire to The Rain by Adele began to played and Serena was singing.

       My eyes widened at Serena's screeching voice and paling, I realized what I had done to Serena. My eyes went to the tables in front of her and my heart sank when I noticed how uncomfortable everyone looked. They were all staring at her, looking stunned, and my heart ached for Serena. Because even though they thought she was sick, Serena knew she was using her actual voice to sing.

       People began to whisper to each other and the couple at the table I was at snickered, saying how lucky she was that, that wasn't her real voice. Anger rose up within me at their words, but I knew better than to start an argument. Instead, I began to look for Carson who I knew was in the crowd.

       I soon spotted him leaning against the wall of the restaurant. He was frowning, looking confused, and my heart broke for Serena once again. Carson who was usually so mesmerized and proud of Serena looked bothered by her singing. He stared at her as if she was broken, which left me pulling my eyes away, unable to bare his stare.

       My eyes then went back to Serena and I placed a hand on my heart when I saw how red she was. Serena knew the crowd hated her voice. She knew they were all taking badly about her. And I felt sick at the thought, knowing nobody deserved that.

       Eventually, Serena ended the song and the crowd applauded. A few people stood up, showing their support and I smiled at them for being good people. But looking back at Serena, I saw how miserable she looked and realized nothing would make her feel better. This was a horrible realization to Serena and I knew she never wanted to be in this position again.

*****

       Carson and Serena were sitting on the edge of the stage and I was walking towards them. Carson had an arm wrapped around Serena and Serena had her head resting on his shoulder. She looked miserable and Carson was trying to cheer her up.

       "It's okay," Carson said. "Everyone will forget about this by tomorrow."

       "I just feel so embarrassed," Serena said, glancing at me when I reached them. "The crowd hated me."

       "No one sings well when they're sick. The crowd understands that," Carson said. "And besides, it's not like you sound like that all the time. Usually your voice is beautiful. It's just because you have a cold that it sounded off."

       I winced at his words, knowing the truth. This was Serena's real voice. It was the voice she did have to deal with everyday, which was why Serena pushed away from Carson. She stood up quickly, looking stricken, and my eyes softened.

       "I'm going to go on a walk," Serena said, shooting Carson a look. "Alone. Don't bother following me."

       Serena stormed off then, leaving Carson and I alone. Carson stared after her, shocked, and I sighed lightly. I felt bad for him now because he had no idea of what he said wrong.

       "Why is she mad at me?" Carson asked. "I was just trying to comfort her."

       "She's just upset," I said, shrugging. "I don't think she wants to talk to anyone right now."

       Carson sighed heavily at that and I smiled at him. He smiled back and I looked away, unsure of how to feel. After Serena's performance, I knew I could never let the truth be revealed. I never wanted to put Serena in that position again, which meant that I would forever sing for her and Serena would forever take credit for it. It wasn't the ideal situation to be in, but I had to learn to accept it.