Chapter 6

“You cheated!” Haylee exclaimed as Ryhan won the fifth game of chess.

“Don’t hate the player, hate the game,” Ryhan said as he started to place the chess pieces in their right places.

Haylee and Ryhan spent the most of the day together, he only left to get her food, when the doctor came to check her injuries and when two nurses came to wash her(which was a horrible experience for Haylee who had to let strangers help her wash up, luckily she convinced them she could wash her private parts). She soon realized that Ryhan had a great sense of humor and he liked to have fun. He was really easy going for a dragon prince. Thinking about it made her wonder how this dragon business works. She was curious, but she refused to ask Jayk, he would just be mean about it. Jayk was an enigma on his own, she remembered the way he just angered her the first night of her stay. She knew she was way to accepting of the fact of them being dragons and all, but she somehow trusted Jayk. Something inside her told her he could be trusted.

“Ryhan?”

“Yes, Haylee Baylee,” he answered, he only knew her a few hours and he already gave her a nickname.

“Jayk said you are dragons, do you transform into dragons?” she asked.

“We used to many years ago, but an angry duke burned all our history books and our kind has sort of forgotten how to change. But we still have these,” Ryhan said as he pulled out an amulet that hang around his neck on a golden chain that looked like the one in Jayk’s crown.

“Dragon Fire,” She said as she recalled Jayk telling her about it.

“Yes, it gives us all our extra abilities. Like reading minds,” He said with a grin. Haylee realized what he meant and started to hit him on the shoulder, but he quickly stood up and moved out of her reach.

“You can be so glad I can’t move about Ryhan dragon prince!” She said as she glared at him. He chuckled before he flicked her head with his forefinger and quickly moved out of her reach.

“Argh!” She huffed in frustration.

Just at that moment the doctor came by to check on her for the night.

“Prince Ryhan don’t aggravate my patient.” He scolded the young prince.

“Sorry Doctor,” Ryhan said and Haylee stuck her tongue out at him.

“How are you feeling, Miss?” Doctor Tibult asked.

“In pain, but that is how I feel every day.” She said with a shrug. It was hard just to lay in bed the whole day, but the doctor said he wanted to start helping her to stand and walk again soon. The sooner she can start her rehabilitation, the sooner she can go home to see her parents.

Right behind the doctor was Baelon. Haylee felt slightly intimidated by the large man. His piercing brown eyes were very intimidating.

“I hope he behaved himself, miss Haylee,” Baelon stated.

“If you can call cheating behaving himself,” She said as she eyed Ryhan up and down.

“You what?” Baelon asked.

“I just played chess,” Ryhan said with an innocent shrug.

“And read my mind to find out what my next moves will be,” Haylee said as she glared at Ryhan who just threw his hands in the air.

“Well I would not expect anything less of him,” Baelon said apologetically to Haylee.

Ryhan wanted to object, but Baelon quickly quieted him down and told him to head to his room for the night.