Ash Goodwin

"Do you carry these in red?"

"I need four bags of black salt."

"You didn't fill this up all the way."

"Excuse me, but do you have anymore of the Good Humor Charms?"

"Honey, what did you do to your hair?"

All my optimism had been used up in the first hour running the front of the store. Mama's chores took less time than anticipated, but she wasn't one to waste free labor. I'd been moved up to the front so she could work on restocking some of the better selling items.

"You would think," I whispered to Caly while gift wrapping a book called Cooking with Spells, "that all these witches and warlocks could make their own freaking charms and amulets. Not to mention salt and chalk."

"Some are too weak or don't have the right Gifts," she explained, though I knew this already. I just wanted to vent. Didn't seem to matter if people were witches or impotens- rude was a human condition, especially in retail. But Caly continued with a hiss. "And some folks are just lazy."

"Here you go, Mrs. Chamberlain." I handed the package to a bean pole of a witch. She took it but remained at the counter. "Is there something else I can get for you?"

"You're the youngest Wych?"

"No," I answered, "that honor goes to my little brother, Remy."

Bean pole rolled her eyes and tapped her long finger against her longer nose. "You're the youngest offspring of Alizon Wych?"

"Yes."

"Hmm, are the rumors true?"

I leaned over the counter, looking around the room as if checking for anyone who might overhear me. Several customers shuffled closer, their curiosity ill disguised. "Yes, it's true. Harmony does in fact have halitosis."

"Disgusting," bean pole sniffed, too put off by the declaration to return to the real scoop she wanted.

"Agreed. We've tried everything. Spells and potions. It's incurable. Have a nice day!"

"You are playing with fire," Caly said.

"Who's next?" I asked, squatting behind the counter to replace the gift wrap.

"I'm looking for an Affection Charm." The masculine voice, all gravel and rasp, washed over me like a midnight thunderstorm. It took two more tries to get the paper back in the box before I could stand.

"I'm afraid those are special order," I mumbled, easing my gaze upwards at the rate it took the heat to fade to cold in Mississippi. Slow, real slow. The face was better than the voice. Bronzed skin covered sculpted chin and cheekbones, almost feminine in their beauty. But a smattering of dark stubble, uneven the way it often was in youth, added a much need rugged quality.

"How long does it take to get an order in?"

Goosebumps pebbled along my arm. "I'd have to ask my mother. Depends on how many orders we have ahead of you and the complexity of the Charm. We strive for five to seven business days, but you can pay for a rush delivery."

"I have no problem with paying more. I need it soon."

"O-okay," I stuttered, frantic as I searched for the order book. What came out of my mouth next turned my skin as pink as my hair. "I wouldn't think someone like you would need an Affection Charm."

"Ash Goodwin, so you are back," Caly said, coming back from the door where she flipped the sign to closed. During Mabon, stores closed at three to allow for plenty of time to get ready for the evening activities.