Mistaken Identity

I don't know who laughed first. Me or Harmony. This certainly wasn't the moment for laughter, but if I needed any more proof Luis Goodwin was out of his mind, this was it. From the frown marring his handsome face, he didn't find our amusement entertaining.

"Care to let me in on the joke," he said.

"Rose is as magical as that lamp over there," Harmony said.

For once, I wasn't offended and nodded emphatically. "Everyone in this town knows I'm basically an impoten. No one will believe it's my magic."

"Really?" He said, "I quite think it will be the opposite. You see, if it wasn't for your grandmother, you would've been tossed out of Black Brier a long time ago. Everyone thinks you're an oddity. They don't trust you. How difficult would it be to convince the Council that you've had magic all along? That your family was covering for you all these years because you were mentally unstable?"

A prickle of unease swept over me. These were not the ramblings of a mad man. He had given this idea much thought. It was calculated. Cold. And he had just enough power to make it true.

"But they've already arrested Mama. Why would they look at Rose?"

"See, magic is a funny thing. Family can fool simple spells. Like the way y'all fooled my wards on the shop this evening, right Rose?"

I swallowed hard. He knew. Of course, he knew. That's how we were in this mess.

"The magic matches enough to hold your mother, but they'd much rather pin something like this on you rather an esteemed witch like Alizon Wych."

"Mama wouldn't allow it," I insisted, sharing a look with Harmony. I didn't like that she wouldn't hold my gaze and inched away from me.

"No, she wouldn't. Which means at best, she would be stripped of her powers. At worst, burned to death. Especially if your poor father dies."

Luis didn't see it coming. My fist collided with his jaw, sending shockwaves of pain through my hand and up my arm. But it was the best feeling I'd ever felt. Demon Polly cackled with glee, and Harmony covered her mouth with her hands.

Darkness gathered about Luis as he straightened, his hand going to the bruise blossoming on his chin, and even though she was terrified, she couldn't help but feel proud. Maybe she broke all the bones in her hand, but she'd left a mark.

"You get one free pass, child. That was it."

"If what you're saying is true, then I'll just turn myself in. Mama will be saved, and you can't use me in your evil plan."

Harmony shook her head and reached for me. "You know Mama wouldn't let you do that. Just listen to him."

I needed space. No one touched me when I walked to the window. Rain lashed against the glass, and lightning made the bits of colored glass spark and flicker like fireflies. Somewhere out there, my friends were hiding, doing their best to stay alive. I might be warm and dry, but I was no safer for having a roof over my head. Something told me what Luis had to say was not going to be well received.

"So why me?"

"Oh good," Luis said and clapped. "Now we can get down to business. I will make sure your mother is released with a full apology. There will be evidence that Polly was dabbling in things that were beyond her abilities, and unfortunately, we all know what happened..."

"Why would you do that?"

"Because I never meant for that terrible thing to happen. I don't believe in killing witches or warlocks, regardless of what you may think. It's the impotens that should suffer."

"They're innocent," I said, narrowing my eyes. "And they pose no threat to you."

"Really?" The single word echoed around the room as a menacing growl. "Tell that to my Mami who lost her husband when the powerless impotens ran our family out of El Salvador for being brujos. They killed him. We barely escaped with our lives, and we came to this country only to be forced to live in special cities."

His story struck a tender spot in my chest. "But these people are not those people."

"They're all the same, and it's time they were put in their place. I, along with a friend, enlisted the help of Malphas many years ago. He would tell us how to siphon magic from the impotens and in return, we would provide him with a host."

"Why Charlie?"

"Charlie was a fortunate accident." 

Luis' flippant response lit a fire to the fuse inside of me.  Poor, kind Charlie. He didn't deserve this. To be nothing more than someone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"None of that explains why you need me."

My sister was openly crying now. Luis shook her to make her quiet, but she only cried harder. Someone pounded on the door below, and his lips stretched into a satisfied grin.

"I'll let Malphas explain everything."