Thirteen

Zoe woke up on solid concrete. It hadn't felt like very long, but it must have been hours. She sits up to the sound of chains rattling. Horrified, she looks behind her. She was chained to the wall by the wrists, the chains connecting to pulleys on the wall.

     "Oh good, you're awake." Zoe darts her eyes to try to find the source of the new voice, but nothing. She meets her own eyes in the mirror-like wall, eyes wild and hair messy. 

     A Two Way Mirror.

     "What do you want from me?" Zoe asks, finding her voice to be scratchy and almost nonexistent. The door just to the left of the mirror opens with a loud....no, it was just the sound of a regular door opening. A man steps through, wearing a doctor's mask. She watches his hands as he locks the door behind him before approaching.

     He holds out a cup of water. Zoe maintains eye contact with him. "You must be thirsty," he says, putting the cup a little closer to her. "It's just water."

     "You expect me to-" Zoe cuts herself off as she coughs. Multiple times. "To believe you after you've kidnapped me and, and chained me to a wall?"

     "We saved your life," the man says, setting the cup down on the floor. "I'm Dr. Jendor. And you are...?"

     Zoe stays quiet, debating with herself. Her name should mean nothing to them, what would it hurt? "Zoella."

    The man smiles. "It's a pleasure to finally formally meet you, Zoe." Her eyes widen as he stands up. "Please answer their questions." He leaves the room.