31. i bless the rains

THE GROUP WERE FLUTTERING AROUND THE LOT, completing the final tasks before the sun officially went down

THE GROUP WERE FLUTTERING AROUND THE LOT, completing the final tasks before the sun officially went down. Steve was in the midst of pouring gasoline around, the red-haired girl was salvaging through the materials laying around and Ringo was setting down traps.

Admittedly, bear traps frightened the hell out of her. But they seemed to work rather successfully last Halloween, and that was good enough for them. However fearful she was of getting caught in one, she was twice as scared as setting it, envisioning it going off at any moment.

They could only afford to buy three in the store, so she placed them in areas that weren't entirely visible from the windows on the bus.

"No sneak attacks today, Satan," she muttered under her breath, placing both feet down on the levers and shoving the giant claws open. Unaware that she hadn't placed them down far enough to click into place, when she stepped off it sprang up and snapped the thin air. The shock of it was enough to cause her to scream, her hands up in the air and flailing about until she calmed down and realised that none of her limbs had made contact with it.

"What?!" Steve bellowed, racing towards her while the other kids stood watch, fearfully. "What's wrong?!"

Embarrassed by her display, she huffed and shrugged her shoulders, keeping her head down as she returned towards Steve and the others.

"Nothing," she tried to play off. Steve rolled his eyes, while the kids let out a sigh of relief simultaneously.

"Jesus, Ringo," Steve swore, "I thought you were being mauled to death."

"Don't worry, sugar," she cooed teasingly, bumping the side of her hip against his, "I'll protect you from the monsters."

"Please," he scoffed, "I'll protect you."

"No," she continued to argue, prompting Dustin and Lucas to share a look of incredulity. "I'll protect you."

"No, Ringo, I'm the-" he cut himself off before continuing, looking away suddenly as he tossed the empty gas canister onto the ground.

"Finish that sentence, I dare you," she pointed at him, a smirk on her lips. "You were about to say because you're the man!"

"No! No!" He denied, looking guilty as charged. "I was about to say... because I'm the... Queen?"

"Nice save," she said sarcastically, chuckling to herself as they finally headed towards the bus to wait the night out.

She gripped her axe along the way, swinging it up to rest to rest on her shoulder as she stepped up onto the boarded up school bus. Max, Lucas and Dustin followed, whispering to themselves.

"Are they always like this?" Max asked quietly.

"Worse," Dustin huffed, "you should have seen them when they pretended they didn't like each other."