33. clo segate

"WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE DESTRUCTION OF OUR WORLD AS WE KNOW IT," Lucas dramatically announced, sending the rest of the room that wasn't already aware of what a mind flayer was, into hysterics

Nancy let out a sigh and shook her head, while Steve started anxiously scraping his hands through his hair and backing away from the table.

"That's great!" He remarked sarcastically, his head nodding frantically as it usually did when he became stressed, "that's great! That's really great!"

"Of course," Ringo rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest with annoyance. "Finally meet a guy, and now the world's gonna end."

"Okay," Nancy shook her head, trying to refocus on the situation at hand and keep rational. Jonathan had just reentered the room, eyebrows furrowed with confusion at the book laid out on the table and the apparent meeting being held. "So if this thing is like a brain that's controlling everything, then if we kill it...?"

"We kill everything it controls," Mike answered for her, looking a little more positive than he had in days.

"We win," Dustin confirmed.

"Correct me if I'm wrong," Ringo interrupted, eyes glancing between the kids for an explanation. "If we kill the brain thing, and that will kill everything it controls, won't that kill Will?"

"Not unless it's a parasite," Steve voiced from a few feet away, starting to recover from his minor breakdown. "Because then... we would just be killing the parasite and not the host, right?"

Without missing a beat, every head in the room turned to look at Steve with mild confusion, staring blankly at him in wonder of how he would come up with that conclusion.

"What?" He rolled his eyes, rejoining them by Ringo's side. "None of you are in Biology with me... it gets boring, I actually have to listen to the class."

"Great," Hopper stepped forward, all but pushing them aside to get a closer look at the Holy Grail of a book they recited from. "How do we kill this thing? Shoot it with fireballs or something?"

"N-no, no fireballs," Dustin nervously chuckled, knowing the real answer was something much more weird and would stop anyone over the age of thirteen listening. "Uh, you summon an undead army... because you know... zombies don't have brains, and the mind flayer it likes brains..."

With those words, all eager expressions in the room dropped. Whatever idea Dustin had been dangling in front of them had turned out to be nothing more than a fantasy.

"It's just a game," he shrugged, immediately receiving an eye roll and the smacking sound of the book slamming down from Hopper.

"What the hell are we doing here?" He grumbled.

"I thought we were waiting for your military backup," Dustin retorted with a sarcastic quirk of his brows.

"We are!"