34. burn it out

AFTER A TOUCHING REUNION AND A SHOCKING REVELATION THAT ELEVEN HAD BEEN HARBOURED BY CHIEF HOPPER, Mike was hysterical

AFTER A TOUCHING REUNION AND A SHOCKING REVELATION THAT ELEVEN HAD BEEN HARBOURED BY CHIEF HOPPER, Mike was hysterical. Any pent up emotion he had suppressed over a year after his separation from Eleven rose to the surface, and aimed directly at Hopper. The Chief dragged the pre-teen into the bedroom, eager to keep him away from the others eyes and explain to him why he did what he did.

This left Eleven alone with the others, being immediately attacked by Lucas and Dustin.

"Is that the psychic chick?" Steve leaned in and whispered to Ringo, who screwed up her expression.

"She's not psychic," she denied, eyebrows furrowing as she tried to find a word to explain what exactly Eleven was, "she's... special."

Their attention was brought back to the group of kids as Max called out to the other girl, walking toward her with a shy smile. Nancy and Ringo watched in confusion as the girl simply stormed past her with a harsh glare, obviously taking a dislike to her already, and headed straight into Joyce's arms.

"What was that about?" Steve pressed, letting out a low whistle.

"It's so sad," Ringo mused, a hand clasped over her chest, "the patriarchal pressures of society have reached her already."

"We'll need to talk to her when this is all over," Nancy nodded in agreement, "girls need to support other girls."

"What?" Steve recoiled, baffled by their ramblings.

"Psst," Ringo hissed at Max, who was currently staring at her shoes, visibly deflated and offended. Her eyes lifted up to the blonde, who cocked her head in a gesture to come over.

"Well," Max raised her eyebrows when she reached the teenagers, "that was embarrassing."

"Don't take it personal, kid," Ringo comforted her, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "Eleven is used to being the only girl in that group, she's just scared she'll be replaced by the new girl."

"You got all that from a look?" Steve retorted disbelievingly.

"She just sounds really cool," Max shrugged, her eyes following Eleven as she walked with Joyce towards Will's bedroom. "I was the one that was jealous of the guys for getting to be friends with her."

"It's not your fault," Nancy added with a soft smile, contrasting her appearance as Hopper's hunting rifle was still held against her body.

"It's society's fault," Ringo offered, eliciting an amused eye roll from the ginger girl.

"Can you believe Eleven is back?" Dustin called out excitedly to their group, pacing over and eyeing the arm Ringo held around Max. "Hey, Eleven looked at me weirdly when I purred. Do I get comforted too?"

"No, you brought that on yourself for being weird."

"Burn," Steve snickered from beside her, receiving an evil glare from the boy in question.