Epilogue

"Mama, for the last time, I'll be fine!"

It's been five years since the end of the war, and a twenty-five year old Lance is about to go back to where he never thought he'd return.

To space.

Behind him waits Takashi and Curtis, busy performing final checks on the small ship - pre-named the GoLion - they picked up second-hand a few months ago. It's about the size of a decent house, which is aptly fitting seeing as Lance is ready to call it home for the foreseeable future, and they've already taken it out for a few weeklong getaways so Takashi has an idea of how to pilot it. Veronica and Luis helped him 'move in' all his clothes and belongings last week, and today, they leave.

"I know you will," Mama assures him, taking his face between her hands and bringing him down so she can kiss his forehead, "but you're my little boy, and you've run off once before-!"

"But I'm not running off," he corrects her, earning a click of her tongue, "I'm a phone call away, and I've got Takashi and Curtis with me now, I'll be safe."

He turns to see Takashi shooting them a quick wave, and Lance returns it as Mama elbows him gently in the side.

"I do not doubt your big strong boyfriends in protecting you," Mama says dryly, taking his hands in hers, "but space is unpredictable - be safe!"

"I will, I will," Lance repeats with a laugh, "I'll ring you every week, and I'll send you gifts if I see something nice."

"Lance!"

Before he can turn, two strong arms pull him into a hug. It's definitely Rachael judging by the perfectly manicured hands and hideous amount of bangles, but he turns and tightly squeezes her around the middle anyway.

"Don't fuck up," Rachael says, voice muffled by his jacket, "and come back for Christmas, and your birthday, and thanksgiving, on pain of death."

"Can't believe you're leaving us again, dude," he hears Luis say, but the grin on his face says he's not really angry, "have fun out there, okay?"

He nods, detaching himself from Rachael to pat Luis on the back, and as he moves away, Marco ruffles his hair roughly; it's the same thing he's being doing since Lance was a kid, and he groans affectionately at the mess his hair is now in.

"Don't waste it," is Marco's advice, "you've got the universe at your fingertips, Little bro, enjoy yourself."

Before he can reply, Veronica steps out from behind him, punching Lance supportively on the shoulder before turning her attention behind Lance.

"Oi, Drake, Shirogane, get your asses over here," she calls, and the family share a laugh as Takashi and Curtis awkwardly make their way over.

Veronica then proceeds to attempt to wrap her arms around them both, prompting the other siblings to join in on the hug - Takashi just seems to accept it, but Curtis' look of mild terror makes Lance snort from laughter.

"Hurt Lance, and we're coming for you," he hears Veronica threaten as the crowd backs off, "don't think that just because you were my commanding officer doesn't mean I'll break your remaining fingers if you break his heart."

"Duly noticed," Takashi replies, "I don't doubt you on that one, trust me."

That's when Mama makes her way forward, pushing through the gap between Luis and Rachael to pull the two into an equally big hug of her own. He's happy Mama has taken to them so well; the few times they've been over they've gotten on a like a house on fire, particularly Curtis. It's awesome to watch, and Lance can't help the swell of joy that comes from them truly becoming part of his already huge family.