c h a p t e r • o n e

[unedited]

" Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." 

c h a p t e r • o n e

STANDING in front of all the Elite Alphas of this generation as the one who got the highest score on the entrance exam, did not fail to boost my confidence. It brought me a sense of accomplishment that no one else of the Alphas in the room could have a taste of. I had, with my own hard work and diligence proved myself to be the elite of the elite. And that was my duty, my duty as an Alpha and my duty as a member of the Vaughn Family.

The principal, Imari Gandhi was on the last segment of his speech. A speech which had included a very heartwarming welcome to the absolute elite. I counted the seconds in my head, the countdown to me standing in the center with all eyes focused on me. The speech I had prepared was far from perfect, but it was exactly that part which made it suitable.

With a clasping of hands, Imari laughed heartily before reaching the end, " Now I will allow the newcomer to the student council to speak a few words, welcome to stage - Atharv Vaughn. A first year student." What followed was an applause as I step by step made my way to Imari to replace his spot.

With my genes as an Alpha I had heightened senses, it made it possible for me to hear the chatters that filled the room amidst the applause.

" Another Vaughn? Must be the third son then."

" He's of course as good looking as his brothers.. stands out even among the alphas."

" Vaughn he said? God, not another one of those crazy bastards.."

The ill intent flooded my body. Most didn't seem to like my family due to our excellence and our sense of duty. It was something my family had warned me of before I came here. Although they told me about it.... it truly feels different to have so many Alphas glare at you in hopes of you burning up.

But it didn't matter what they thought of me or my family. Because in the end we're the ones who are going to stand at the top, giving them orders to bark and wag their tails to us in hope of a promotion or a raise in their salary. I shook away my thoughts and smiled gently as I had now reached Imari.

Imari returned  a comforting smile before walking away, leaving the stage for me to take. I stood in front of the microphone and allowed my eyes to wander over the mass of people. Allowing them to take a second to observe me, to see who will be their possible future boss.

I felt their eyes all over me, searching for weaknesses to exploit, seeing whether I had the rights or not to stand in front of them and have them listen to my words. They were hoping for me to show a weak point so that they could overpower me and press me underneath them. I understood that part well, all alphas wanted to stand at the top. It's a part of our nature to be greedy, especially for power.

I realized that enough time had passed and it was the perfect moment to speak.

" Hello fellow students, as previously mentioned by Principal Gandhi - my name is Atharv Vaughn and I'm the third son of the Vaughn family," I started slowly, letting my alpha pheromones seep through to show my authority.

" I will be partaking in the duties of the student council and will try everything within my power to change the school for the better, since we Alphas deserve nothing else but the best of the best." I strongly emphasized before continuing, " I'm looking forward to the next four years that I will spend here. I am hoping to experience all sorts of things to become an Alpha worthy of respect and I also believe that all of you here will become the elite of the Alphas and guide our society towards unseen greatness. That would be all of me, thank you."