Chapter 9

Fast forward towards the weekends, and I was so happy! I was glad that I could finally sleep as long as I want! Good thing that I do not have a lot of homework to do! I went downstairs and grabbed myself something to eat, while my mom was still sleeping in bed. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and children are playing on the sidewalks, having the most wonderful time of their lives. My mom was finally awake, and I decided to ask her if I could go outside. She said yes, and told me to be careful of my surroundings. I changed my clothes, got my sketchbook, and went out to the outside world where I could be free. I took a nice walk down the sidewalk all the way to the park seeing children with joy on their faces. It reminds me of my life back in Canada, filled with joy and happiness. And with America, not so much. The only thing that makes me happy right now is Mr. Parker and my mom. They are only the two people who made life better for me.

I walked towards a nearby bench and sat down with my sketchbook in my hand. I picked up my pencil, and started to draw the wonderful scenery of the park. There were leaves of green and beautiful trees that were swaying in the wind. And as I was drawing, I could hear a familiar voice calling me.

"Reuven!"

I turned around.

"Mr. Parker!" I called out and ran up to him to give him a hug.

"Well, what are you doing out here all by yourself?" Mr. Parker asked with a smile.

"My mom isn't really an outdoor person," I replied with a shrug.

"I see." Mr. Parker nodded.

We both sat down on the bench that I was sitting in and began to continue my drawing of the scenery of the park.

Mr. Parker looks over at my drawing. "You're a very excellent drawer, Reuven."

"Heh, thanks. I wouldn't consider it the best drawing in the world." I replied.

"Now, I wouldn't be too negative on myself if I were you." Mr. Parker said.

"I know, I know. It's just that nobody really appreciates my drawings, nowadays."

"What about your friends back home? Do they like your drawings?"

"Yes, yes they do."

"Well, then you should only focus the people who like your drawings."

I thought about that for a moment.

"You know what, I guess I should."

"Good." Mr. Parker replied with a smile.

We both fell silent for a moment.

"Reuven, may I ask you a question?"

"Yes, Mr. Parker?"

"What is love to you?"

I thought about it for a moment.

"Love is... love is... something that cannot be forced." I finally said.

"You have a good point, Reuven. What do you think about a divorce? What is your opinion about that?"

"A divorce takes love's chances away. It happened with my family eight years ago before I moved to America." I said as my eyes started to fill up with tears.

"Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that..." Mr. Parker said as he looked into my teary eyes. "Come here..."

And with those words, he gave a hug and did his best to calm me down, but I can't, I tried, and the crying just got worse!

"Shh, shh... it's okay, Reuven. It's better to let your feelings out than to hold them in." Mr. Parker said as he patted my head.

I looked up at him. "Really...?"

"Yes, really. I wouldn't lie to you, Reuven."

I wiped my own tears and looked back at him.

"I'm sorry about bawling my eyes out like that, Mr. Parker. It's just that when my parents fell apart, everything has changed. I just wished that I could just turn back time when life was just perfect."

"I understand. I, too, would wish for that to happen." Mr. Parker replied as he looked up the sky.

"Mr. Parker, do you know what time is it?" I asked.

"Hold on, let me check." Mr. Parker said as he looked at his watch. "It's 2:30 PM, do you need to get home right now?"

"Actually, I do. But wait, stay here," I said and ran out towards my house before Mr.

Parker could say anything else.

I finally arrived home and went inside.

"Oh, hey Reuven!" my mother called out.

"Hey, mom! Mind if I ask you something?"

"Sure, what's up?"

"Do you mind if I hang out with Mr. Parker for the rest of the afternoon?"

My mom thinks about it for a moment.

"Well, why not? He's an awesome guy after all." my mom smiled.

We both laughed.

"Oh, and by the way, do you mind if I could invite Mr. Parker to stay over at our house for a few moments? If that's okay..." I asked as I scratched my head.

"Oh, yeah, sure! I don't mind. We haven't had visitors in a long time. He is welcome to come over!" my mom replied with a smile.

"Yes! Thank you so much, mom!" I shouted with joy.

"You're very welcome, Reuven." my mom replied with a smile.

And with that, I ran back outside to meet up with Mr. Parker who has been waiting on the bench for me.