Chapter Two

The days were cold, but the nights were colder. Sat with her back to the rock wall of the only place she could call home, she sighed. The sun was fast descending and taking the measly warmth it provided along with it. She had become used to the chilling atmosphere that the forest brought, but she was still only human and so she felt the cold deep within her. Winter was well on its way and with it came the bone-deep chill that got worse every year. She needed more furs, and not only that but needed to begin to stockpile supplies for the harsh days to come.

With fall coming to its end, the hunting got harder and harder, game was always more difficult to catch amidst the snow. A bow and arrow was no good if your fingers were too numb to aim and fire. The snow made it more difficult to hit her targets, and if she missed it was always near impossible to find and retrieve her arrows. The next couple weeks would have to be spent devoted to catching and killing, skinning and preserving all the meat she could find. The winds had forewarned her that this would be one of the most trying times she would ever endure, and she wanted to be as prepared as possible.

Sitting back and resting her head against the rock face, she closed her eyes to relish in the peace that the quiet gave her. That peace was shattered, however, by the single cry of a wolf, a long and low howl that sent shivers down her spine. The howl came from much closer than she was comfortable with, and where one wolf was, a pack was sure to follow.

The wolves posed an even bigger problem with their proximity. Not only did she have to get as much hunting done as possible in the near future, but now she also had to avoid the wolves, and get her game before they could hunt it all down. She knew now why the winds had warned her to prepare herself for a trying time, this winter may just bring the hardest challenge she's ever had to face.

Humming softly to herself, she held on to the only thing she had left of her mother, the sweet lullaby she had sung every night before bed. She needed to be well rested for tomorrow, for she had no idea what to expect. Lying down with her furs pulled tight around her shoulder, she brought her knees into her chest, sleeping as she had since she was a child – in a tight-knit ball to comfort herself from the outside world. Closing her eyes, she let the last few notes of the lullaby echo softly in her head before drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

She never felt quite right without her quiver placed where it belonged on her back. Weaponless was a state she never wanted to be in. Glad to have her bow back in her hand she looked out from the rocks and pushed her way out from behind the branches that covered the enclaves' opening.

Anything nearby? She sent out to the winds, wanting a warning if the wolves were anywhere close.

With no reply, she knew she would be safe for at least the next little while, trusting in the winds to warn her if anything changed. Setting out away from her home she breathed in deep, letting the cool air fill her lungs and clear her head of the last remnants of sleep. It was time to focus on the task at hand, the hunt. Taking off at a sprint she ran towards her usual hunting grounds, where she knew was a popular watering ground for many of the forest creatures.

Slowing her pace as she neared, she began to take slower and more carefully placed steps, not wanting to allude the animals to her approach. Sending a quick thanks to the winds and the trees for answering her prayers, she allowed herself a small grin at the sight of the two deer before her. She watched as their heads dipped down to the surface of the water, both animals totally at ease and unaware of her presence.

Reaching up and back she pulled a single arrow from the few she had left and nocked it. Lining up her shot she aimed for the head of the larger of the two deer, knowing she could only have one, and the bigger one fit her needs much better. Letting out a low and even breath she let the string slip from beneath her fingertips, only to flinch at the flash of brown that burst from the treeline.