Ch0 Prologue - A Spark For Change

9th day of the Ice Month

In the dark streets of Servillon, a young man's cries for help were heard. Every plea answered by the sound of doors and windows being shut. No one dared to lend a hand. 

Hours passed as the young man lost his way. The streets in the residential sector of the city were cramped. The lack of space between buildings turned the area into a maze. Even more so during the night, where the lack of vision could trap even the most experienced citizen.

Under the cover of darkness he hoped to have escape almost immediately, but the sound of his steps on graven, stones, and the pavement that made up the rode, gave away his location. The man that hunted him was adept at tracking prey. 

Unable to do anything else, he ran. His salvation laid in the hands of those who could listen. All it takes is the merciful act of one righteous soul, and two precious lives could be saved.

While most residents heard the ruckus outside, none chose to intervene . Among the many who did nothing, were the Bercuvios. 

A simple family of two. An old man and his granddaughter, Medina. She was the first of the two to take notice of the youth yelling outside. Her curiosity naturally drew her into looking out from the window on their second floor apartment. 

Unable to see the boy, she could only listen to his fear infused voice. Like most eight-year old children, her curiosity had to be sated, but her desire to see the victim had to wait until he was no longer invisible in the darkness of the night. She wanted to continue looking, but her grandfather, in his Gamavian accent, spoke to her.

"Madina come on, gat away from da window. It's time for dinnar. Go sit"

The old man ordered this to Medina as he walked over and covered the window. The wooden window covers softly creaked as they met their counterparts.

Following her grandfathers order, she hopped off the small wooden stool, her short brown hair bouncing as her feet met the floor. She walked herself towards the small dinner table, her night gown waving back and forth as she skipped. 

There wasn't much room on the table, but it was big enough for the two of them to share a meal. As she skipped over, she thought to herself:

-We aren't helping? I feel a little bad, but they probably stole something, and we can't help bad people.

Her way of thinking wasn't wrong, but it differed slightly from the other citizens. Everyone else simply didn't want to involve themselves with anyone who reeked of trouble. So, they just ignored the boy and carried on with their lives.

As she sat down, her grandfather left for the kitchen. Soon the sounds of kitchenware being moved around worked their way into her ear, which calmed her greatly. 

She dreamt of the day she'd cook for her prince charming. As her imagination took root, she played with her girly bow tie, which held her family emblem. She imagined the day in which she could replicate her grandfather's ability to cook so well. But her imagination was disturbed by the sound of a whiplash followed by a loud crash outside.

She was startled, and curiosity took over her mind once again. Disobeying her grandfather's orders she stood up and made for the closed window. Once again, she opened and peered out. 

She saw someone in a pile of wooden scraps. He must have run into the scaffolds in front of the building. A normal person wouldn't be strong enough to accidentally take that down. Perhaps he is a great thief after all? 

Digging himself out of the pile of woods, the boy was careless. He forced his head out first, but she couldn't make out any of his facial features. She could only see his back as he forcefully lifted the debris off himself. As he stood up, it looked like he was cradling something in his arms.