Chapter 2 - Ashes from the Past

8th day of the Ice Month  

The sun started to set. Only a few hours have passed since she woke up, but her earlier fight drained her energy away. And so, the drowsy Lilyth began to sway from side to side. It was dangerous to do so while seated on the driver's sit, but she felt relaxed sharing that wooden perch with Nephen as he drove.

The gentle breeze brushing through her hair along with the rhythmical sway of their wagon, reminded her of her early childhood. Fond memories, of the time she spent with her mother. A time when she was embraced and shown unconditional loved. With those fond memories crossing her mind, her body naturally leaned to the side and she closed her eyes, leaning softly against Nephen.

Much like a fledgling dove, she sought the warmth and comfort of her guardian. Unknowingly latching on to his arm as she fell asleep.

•••••

???

She saw a small remote village. Humble homes accompanied by farm fields, their grass dancing to the gentle tune of the wind. The village belonged to the Kingdom of Garmavia and it bordered the Republic of Congo.

Lilyth was in charge of it. A gift given to her by her father.  At the tender age of seven, she had a fief of her own. Too young to properly manage it, but her father forced this task upon her.

In this new scenery, she sees her younger self standing amidst the greenery that belonged to her. Thinking to herself how great it was of the villagers to help her manage everything. But off into the distance, in the direction of the village, she saw a blinding orange light.

Right before eyes of the young Lilyth, the entire village was engulfed by flames.

As a naïve child, she believed she could help and ran towards it. Her villagers lived there. Only a month has passed since she met them. Yet, the fond memories she shares with them drove her into action

As she shortened the distance, screams echoed throughout the open air. The screams forced their way into her ears, and fear to etched into her heart. She wanted to stop, wanted to run away from this fiery chaos but couldn't. A voice in her mind implored her to keep moving forward.

Regretfully, she listened.

With every step she took, a new corpse came into sight. Many were burnt beyond recognition. Their skins darker than the blackest of coals. Their bodies nothing more than ashes following the current of the wind as it blew.

Baffled by the sight, she slowed her approach. The revolting feeling building up in her stomach wouldn't allow her to move any faster. Nevertheless, she pressed on forward. At this point, the very least that she can do is to uncover the reason behind such a devastating event.

As her legs lost their strength, she stopped moving. No longer being able to carry her weight she dropped to the ground. The state of the village center took away any will she had to carry on.

The fire burnt the entire village down. The humble homes are now nothing more that burnt piles or wood and rubble. All around her, the bodies that didn't get caught in the initial wave of flames, were crushed. Their insides now exposed for her to see.

Bones, organs, blood, and anything else that was never meant to be seen, decorated this vile scene. Unable to contain it any further, her stomach let out all the fluids it contained.

Death claimed everything.

Everything she owned, loved, and cared about has been reduced to ashes. Her mind no longer had the strength to find the answers it sought.