Chapter 10

"Kat!" I hear Tinny screams as I walk into Santi's house.

It was early Saturday and Santi usually had work later from 2 to 10. He started school 2 months ago coming back every weekend to work and see me, though it felt like he only came back to work.

On Sundays he'd work from 8 until 4 then head back to school around 6:30pm. His first class on Monday didn't start until 9am.

Between his busy schedule we usually found time to hang out but as the weeks went on it seemed harder and harder.

"¿Qué pasa mi pobrecito? What's wrong with my poor baby?" I responded as the 7 year old ran up to me.

"I'm not a baby, Kat. And Stephie is being mean to me again!" Tinny replied giving me a tight hug.

"Mean? I told the little brat to do the dishes!" Stephanie yells from the kitchen.

"She hit me with a spoon!" Tinny defends.

I look at Stephanie holding a wooden spoon in her hand and looking annoyed.

I smile to myself, "Tinny, please go help your sister with the dishes. I'm sure she won't hit you again."

I look up at Steph, "No promises." She mutters to herself.

"He only listens to you and Santi, I swear." She tells me.

Tinny worshipped his older brother and looked up to him as though the sun rose and sent because of him.

"Speaking of... Where's Santi?" I ask her.

"At the shop."

"But it's only 10:12?" I say checking the time on my phone.

"No sé, he left at 9 this morning. He probably wanted to pick up some extra hours."

"Ok, thanks." I smile disappointed.

I felt like I was constantly chasing him and trying so hard to spend time with.

Ugh, I feel like such a nuisance.

"I'm sorry, Kat. You know Santi." Steph says.

"Yeah, it's ok I'll probably see him later. Oh by the way Julie, Ayo, and I are having a movie night tonight at 8 wanna join?"

"Yeah, sure."

"My house, bring a blanket. I'm gonna go clean and cook before my mom gets home and starts yelling."

"Ok, I'll see you later."

"Bye Tinny!" I say waving goodbye.

"Bye Kat." He runs from the kitchen to me and motions for me to lean down, though he was only a foot shorter than 5'2.

"Call me when you get rid of the porquería (rubbish)." He whispers handing me a piece paper and winking at me.

"What did Tinny just give you?" Steph asks laughing.

I hand her the piece of paper smiling.

Damn little man was slick!

"This is our home number!" Steph laughs.

I grab the piece of paper from her and pocket it.

"Stop he's cute." I defend.

"Ok, I'm leaving. Bye!"

"Bye boo!"

I walk down the street a few blocks before I feel a sudden urge to look at the piece of paper I've been holding onto in my pocket.