Wattpad Original
There are 43 more free parts

Chapter 25

Severance sat against a tree, quietly watching between gaps in the trunks as players wandered down the road. He'd gone far enough into the trees that most people wouldn't notice him there, but not so far that he couldn't see the road.

Here, the noise from the town seemed distant and, if he were honest, a little reassuring. It might be inside a virtual world, but there were other people close by and he could pretend that he wasn't alone.

It was better than staying inside an empty apartment and waiting for the world to start moving again.

Right now, he was just waiting to hear back from Awesome Dude. He'd logged in to a couple of messages from the other player, and had sent a reply that he was back in the game.

It was ironic. He got messages in Eliona, but none on Earth. Why was his life so backwards?

Severance scratched a fingernail along the seam of his pants. He was wearing the new pair from the dungeon, and he had to admit they were quite comfortable.

The System chimed.

You have received a message from Awesome Dude. Would you like to Open Message?

Severance perked up. "Yes, Open Message."

A moment later, Awesome Dude's voice rang out.

"Heya Sev! Are you in Ascendance? Tell me where! I'll be right over!"

Severance smiled a little. It was kind of nice to have someone actively seeking him out. He didn't know what the other player wanted, but it didn't matter. Someone actually wanted to come see him, and that lifted his mood.

He sent a reply right away.

"Hey. I'm just outside Ascendance, actually. You know the road out to the orphanage? I'm right by that gate, in the trees. It's not far. I'll watch for you, too. Okay. Bye."

That felt slightly less awkward than the last message. He might be starting to get the hang of this messaging thing.

Now, depending on where Awesome Dude was, it could take him a little while. Not that Severance minded waiting. It was peaceful out here. If he closed his eyes, he could relax and listen to the birdsong ringing out above him. There was a whole chorus of them, and they sounded far more cheerful than the dramatic woo-woos he'd heard the first time he went into the forest.

"Hey! Hey Sev! Where are you?"

The heck? Severance's eyes flew open. Already? How in the world had that guy gotten here so fast?

"Sev! There's a lot of trees out here! Which one are you at?!"

Severance scrambled to his feet. He hurriedly strode past a couple of trees to reach the forest edge. There, he spotted Awesome Dude running past. The rogue dipped into the tree line before popping out again in the distance. Not even two steps later, he'd charged back into the trees. A pair of large birds burst out of the forest, chattering angrily at being disturbed.

For a moment, Severance just stood there and watched, eyebrows inching higher and higher with each passing second. And then Awesome Dude came back out. He turned, and spotted Severance.

"There you are!" The triumphant shout carried across the distance between them. The rogue waved both hands over his head, a golden glint coming from his tooth, before sprinting over at full speed.

Severance took a few steps back as Awesome Dude skidded to a stop before him. "That was...fast."

Awesome Dude's grin only widened. "Hehe! I was already in town."