ELEVEN

2074

The carnival was in town and Alexander was more excited than he should be. The rides and the food and the crowds of excited people always made him feel like a child again. As soon as he heard it was in town, he desperately wanted to go.

"They come every year," Isaac explained as they drove past the field the rides were being set up in. "It never really changes, but people love it anyway."

Alex smiled out the window. "Are you going to go?" he asked.

Isaac shook his head. "Nah, I haven't been in years. Like I said, it's the same thing every year," he said. "What? Did you want to go?"

"No, no, I was just wondering," he said and tried to ignore the disappointment in his gut. He'll just have to go on his own. Not the most fun thing in the world, but at least he would get to go on the rides.

"Sure," Isaac said with a smirk. "Ask Jaden, I'm sure he'll want to go. He goes every year he's here. He's such a child." There's was nothing wrong with being a little childish. It only really happened with Alexander when he went to a carnival or amusement park. It was the atmosphere, the cheerfulness of the people around him. It was infectious and he loved it.

They were on their way to Jaden's house for something. Isaac once again hadn't bothered to tell him what they were doing, but it was probably the same thing they usually did. Games or a movie marathon.

Jaden smiled and waved at them from the porch as they pulled up. Alex stretched his tired legs with a groan as he stepped out of the car. Isaac was already rushing for the door by the time Alexander could even think about heading over there.

"Alex wants to go to the carnival," Isaac said, causing Alex to roll his eyes. "You take him. I know you're going anyway."

Jaden grinned at him as Isaac pushed his way past. Alex joined the younger man on the porch with a shake of his head. "It's no big deal, you don't have to," he said.

"Like Isaac said, I'm going anyway. I might as well take you with me," Jaden said with a shrug. "It'll be the first time in a long time that I don't go on my own."

And with that, the plan was quickly settled. They'd go when the carnival was completely set up and open, in two days. Jaden would pick him up from Isaac's house and drop him back there afterwards. According to Jaden, they'd be there for hours. He liked to spend as much time there as he possibly could.

Two days came and went quickly, and soon enough Alexander found himself waiting outside Isaac's house for Jaden. He tapped his foot impatiently against the porch and shivered in the cool night air. According to Jaden, it was better to go at night. More people, more lights, more fun. Or at least, that was what he said.

A horn honked as Jaden drove into the driveway and pulled up in front of him. "Ready to go?" he asked, poking his head out the window. As per usual, he had a grin on his face.

Alexander shook his head at him and made his way over. "Yeah, yeah. Let's get this over with," he said as he hopped into the car.

"Wow, could you sound any less excited?" Jaden asked with a laugh. "You don't have to come with me if you don't want to."

"No, no. I want to. I'm just tired is all." Working on the farm was long and tiring, but he had been looking forward to the carnival. Jaden grinned at him again and he found himself smiling back before he could think about it properly. He'd never get used to the way Jaden made him smile.

"Well, you won't be soon. This'll wake you right up. I'm not taking you home until at least midnight," Jaden told him as they drove away from the house.