To Grandmother's House We Go

I forgot to post this last weekend so I'm double posting for this story today so enjoy it probably won't happen again.

Beta'd by exaigon over on Fanfiction.Net

-

Something was shaking her but she just rolled away from the offending thing trying to force her away from her blissful sleep. For once, no nightmares or even dreams plagued her so she wanted to stay.

However, someone else had other plans.

"Lilian get up right this instant!"

Bright light streamed into her room. The curtains had been pulled open much to the teenager's frustration.

Groaning, the girl reached with her eyes clenched tightly shut in search of her covers only to find that the demon woman had taken them from her, just like her headphones.

Now she had to listen to the harpy's voice and deal with the sunlight.

Throwing her arm back over her eyes helped very little as the woman ranted, "I swear your brother isn't nearly this difficult to wake up and he's only three for goodness sake."

"Step-brother..." Lily muttered but the woman, her step-mother, continued to rant not having heard her. "I know the doctor's said that it was normal to use sleeping as a way to cope with the situation but honestly, you can't spend every day in bed for the rest of your life Lilian!"

Still laying motionless with her arm still covering her eyes she replied, "Watch me." If she had it her way she'd never leave bed again even with most nights being filled with nightmares. "And it's Lily," she said as an afterthought knowing that the harpy wouldn't listen.

Lily hated this woman and it had nothing to do with the way she insisted she get out of bed each day. It was her blatant disregard for the teenager and also the way she phrased things. Things like 'the situation', not the way she'd phrase her mother's death... the car accident that Lily herself had barely survived two weeks previous.

The woman sighed as she stared down at her disobedient step-daughter. The two had never clicked even before the issues revolving around the girl's mother. Before the situation got so bad that the woman upped and died, the teenager had mostly just gone out of her way to stay out of the woman's hair.

Sometimes she wished that the stupid girl had just died with her mother. As awful as that sounded, her step-mother knew this young lady had no future.

Her attempts were pointless because the girl was barely passing school, had no friends, had probably been depressed since that incident with her grandmother and was now on a downward spiral and refused to get out of bed most days and barely ate when she did.

"It's high time you realize something young lady. You are legally an adult."

Lily snorted.

"At your age people don't care that you've got problems and if you want a life you'll get over them, or at least pretend to, so that you can survive."

"You mean you don't care, isn't that right?" She snarked sleepily.

Sighing and rubbing her forehead hoping that this teenager wasn't giving her early wrinkles, she spoke bluntly, "Your father wants you downstairs by three. It's after two now."

Lily rolled away from her, intent on trying to sleep when the harpy added, "Maybe he was right about this trip being good for you but all that matters to me is that you're out of my hair for the next week and somebody else's problem."