Chapter 1

"Are you sure you're ready for this Ev? It's been three years, you don't have to go back out there." Lucille always spoke so softly and carefully around me. Almost as if she was afraid her little omega brother would break if she raised her voice. Let's be honest though, a few years ago I probably would have.

"It's not that easy Luce, I need to do this, for me." My voice grated against my nerves, hoarse and sounding almost painful when I talked. An errant hand moved to my throat, to a faint pink scar sat. A scar that had ended my career. "Even if I can't sing, I can still be the voice of the Omega's rights groups. I started something and I intend to see it through. He doesn't get to take anything else from me."

A mixture of rage, sorrow and pity flashed through Lucille's amethyst eyes, a mirror of my own. Her hand rose, brushing mine away from the scar before carefully adjusting the deep blue collar of my shirt, shifting it so the scar would be visible to everyone who looked for them. My dark brown hair was shaved away above my ear on that side, in what I'm told is a very hip style. I couldn't have cared less, and secretly wished they had at least left my hair alone.

"Well, if you are going to do this, let's at least make sure you do it right." Lucille had said, quickly taking over as my manager once more when I'd finally decided I was ready to face the waiting world again. "It's not like it's going to be a secret any more why you were forced to disappear three years ago anymore."

Fear boiled in my stomach as my mind tried to slip back to that day three years ago. Shaking, I offered a smile at my sister, silently thanking her for being here with me.

"Everest Lark, five minutes till camera time." A voice called through the door to my dressing area, a familiar thrill joining the gradually rising dread. A tight squeeze to my arm grounded me to reality, reminding me that no matter what I wasn't alone.

"Well, best not keep the people waiting, right Luce?" My smile may as well have been painted on as I looked at her. Her frown assured me that I was trying way too hard to keep it natural. "I'll work on it... but for now, it's the best I've got Luce."

"I know Ev, but you don't have to smile. You are going up there to let the world know what happened, you are sacrificing your privacy to clear the way for others. You don't have to be happy about it." She answered briskly before releasing my arm and moving toward the door.

"Right, don't have to be happy, just have to be present." The words were mumbled in frustration, the sound soft enough that my beta sister wouldn't be able to hear them. A bit louder I replied. "One second Luce, let me go first, it will look better and make me feel safer knowing you are behind me rather than a stranger from the entourage."

Lucille smiled, taking a small step back from the door as she did, waiting for me to go first, something I'd always insisted on. Returning the smile I placed my hand on the doorknob. One steadying breath, then I turned the handle preparing to face the world and tell them my story.

A soft click barely registered in my hearing before my nose was assaulted by the smell of gasoline. Both hands wrapped around the door handle, tugging it as panic threatened to well up. It wasn't opening, why wouldn't it open!

Another sound soon joined the jangle of panic in my mind, a soft woosh that could only have been the sudden ignition of a fire. The metal under my hand went from glacial to burning hot, forcing me to let go and back away. Already I could smell smoke entering the small windowless room.

I heard Lucille dialing 911, her body shaking as she pulled me away from the door, pressing me to her. Panic flared in my chest as memories flashing through my mind of another fire, one that almost killed me three years ago. My throat, already damaged, started to burn and ache as the smoke thickened, soon forcing us to the ground.

Somehow I ended up curled up on the ground as Lucille moved through the room, the sound of water running barely reaching my ears. A cold, damp cloth fell over my head, helping to stop some of the smoke, but it wasn't enough. I could still feel the poisonous air working its way inside me, digging into my lungs and making them burn, begging for oxygen.

Every breath I took felt like an hour had wasted by, time dragging away with each pained breath. I could feel Lucille moving around for a bit and then she was back, pressing against me, blocking me from the door where the heat was the strongest.

A loud banging filled the air, each strike making me flinch. The edges of my world were fading away, black spreading even as the rest of my sight became red hot. The cloth covering me was dry already.

THUD!

The wall behind me shuddered at the explosive noise. A new roar filling the room for a moment before being drowned by the crackles of the hungry fire.

Lucille's weight was ripped away from me. Her blind hands snagged onto the cloth that was protecting my face from the fire, dragging it away. Removing even that thin barrier allowed smoke to bring me to tears, eyes squinting.

A large, lumbering shape disconnected itself from the ever-growing shadows, backlit by the flames that had nearly spread to all the walls and ceiling.

The shadow moved forward even as the world around me continued to darken, tilting on its access. As the darkness took over, I could have sworn I saw a masked face above me, a pair of silver eyes looking down in concern. I thought I smelled the faintest hint of old leather and nutmeg.

But then again, an oxygen-deprived mind loves to twist the world around it.