Chapter 13

"So how much of that did you end up hearing?" Daven's voice was soft, his expression stunned as he looked between myself and the phone. I hadn't meant to eavesdrop, but Daven's voice carried, drawing me out to see what was wrong. Even his scent had changed. The normally spicy scent became more metallic, expressing his anger and irritation.

That metallic burn still lingered in his scent, his emerald eyes burning from the rage he was holding back. Moving slowly I offered the phone out to him, uncertain if his anger was toward me or the person he'd been talking to.

"Long enough," My hand moved through my hair, fiddling with the strands, my thoughts running a million different directions. "Long enough to know that you and I need to talk about some things. About... about before we met."

My voice had broken slightly, a phantom pain in my throat. Talking about everything that had happened wasn't something I wanted to do.

"We don't have to, I told you we would take this at your pace." Daven's voice was soft, some of the anger dissipating. He must have noticed my distress at even the idea of talking about our pasts.

"Yes, we do." Fisting my hands, I forced myself to turn and head for the door, certain that Daven would follow. Once we were inside it took a few grounding breaths before I turned back to the alpha. "If we wait until I'm ready to talk about it, it will never happen. If we want this... this relationship to work between us, then I want us both going in eyes open."

"What happened in your past doesn't matter to me. You're my soulmate, Ev." He reached out a hand to brush the hair away from my face, but I forced myself to take a step back. If I gave into the silent comfort he was offering me, I would never be able to have this conversation.

"Yes, and as soulmates, we both know that this relationship is going to move much faster than normal. I want us both to be on an even footing before things get too far. I wasn't lying when I told that person that I'd leave if something from my past affected your relationship with Ana."

My pause was less to give him room to argue and more to steady myself. What I had said was the truth, but I also knew it would hurt.

"You'd really give up your chance at a soulmate?" There wasn't accusation in Daven's voice. Pain yes, but also I could have sworn I heard awe.

"If the choice is between keeping a child with their parent and my own happiness, I would always choose the child Dav. No matter what."

My eyes had drifted to the floor as we spoke, fear of what his own emerald orbs would reveal, locking them on my feet. The hand that cupped my chin, gently forcing me to look up was rough from years of hard work. Daven's thumb rubbed softly against my jaw, his green eyes filled with the amazement I'd thought his voice carried.

"You're right Ev. If we want this to work we do need to talk. Ana's at school, so why don't you call your sister. Give her a quick update on where you are and what's going on so she doesn't worry anymore, and I'll make some cocoa for us." His thumb moved ever so slightly toward my lips as he spoke. Daven's voice filled with a soft hope, almost covering his own uncertainty.

My nod was all it took for that warm hand to drop away, leaving me longing for his touch as soon as it was gone.

"Right, I'm sure she'll understand. Luce can be a bit alphaesque herself, but she knows that I can take care of myself."

I glanced at my phone, which was of course still dead. Before I could even ask, Daven handed me his phone, a wry grin warming his expression. My own face burned as I took it, moving to sit on the couch while Daven headed back toward the kitchen.

I was grateful Lucille had insisted I memorized her number, given my penchant for forgetting to charge my phone and never having a charger with me.

I wondered about what I would tell her as I typed in her number and hit call. As soon as the phone started ringing I found myself silently praying she wouldn't answer.

Apparently, fate wasn't with me though as the phone was answered on the first ring.

"Who the hell is this?!" Her voice screamed through the receiver making me wince. It was the middle of the afternoon so there was no way I'd woken her up.

"Hi, Luce..."

"Ev! Holy hell you're alive! Where the hell are you and why haven't you been answering your phone? Is it that fucking alpha? What did he do to you? Markin knows him and is trying to keep me distracted." Her hand must have been over the phone for the next part as her voice was muffled. "Will you stop that! Put your fucking pants back on! Can't you see I'm busy!"

Well... that explained why she was irritated when the phone rang.

"Start talking Ev." Her wrath was back on me, livid rage burning in her voice.

"I'm at Daven's house. My phone died and it was already late when we realized the time, so I stayed over with him. In the guest room. Nothing happened. Well, I mean something happened, but it's not what you are thinking." Silence fell for a few seconds making me wonder if she'd even heard me. A quick inhalation from the other end of the line prompted me to continue, "Daven is my soulmate, Luce!"

Silence. Glorious, wonderful silence greeted my ears at that. It wasn't long lived though.

"He's what?" Lucille's voice was at least back down to a tolerable level now. "I mean... wow, Everest. That's great but... are you sure?"

"Positive Luce. I know it's a lot and I know you probably have three billion questions but... right now... well, he and I need to talk okay? I want this relationship to start with both of us knowing the other's past."

"That is probably a good idea Ev. Just... Make sure you are doing this because you want to, not because he tells you too." And there was the protective sister again. Worried and loving all at once.

"It was my idea, Luce." Glancing up I saw Daven walk into the room, the warm smell of chocolate wrapping around him as he moved to sit next to me on the couch. "I've got to go now, sis. I'll talk to you soon."

"Sounds like that went well," Daven commented setting one of the mugs in front of me. Steam rose from the mug. He'd even topped it with cream and what looked like a dash of cinnamon.

"Pretty well actually." Smiling slightly I wrapped my hands around the mug, moving it to my lips. "So I guess I should start since this was my idea."