Chapter 8

Guilt had eaten away at Daven the entire drive to the diner, he knew he was late. His brother and sister in law had said they'd watch Ana, but then the twins had ended up sick so he was without a babysitter as both of his parents still worked. So when he'd arrived at the diner and almost ran into Everest he'd been expecting the worst. After all famous people didn't take well to having their time wasted.

Surprise and relief had filled him when Ana had started to giggle, Everest quickly joining in before he stood out and walked Daven's little girl to one of the booths to sit down. Ana was quickly taken with Everest something that Daven had hoped for but hadn't necessarily expected. The omega, in turn, seemed to enjoy his daughter's presence leaving Daven content to let the two chatter away.

The lunch went rather smoothly, Ana having tucked herself into the booth next to Everest, a sight that pulled at his heart. She was telling the omega all about one of the new books they had read in class, one about a moose and pancakes or something equally silly.

Daven could barely focus as the sweet lemon scent swirled around him, even more, noticeable than the last time.

"You smell amazing."

Silence greeted his words as Everest gave Daven a confused look. Even Ana was staring at her father in confusion.

"I said that out loud didn't I? I swear that wasn't intentional..." Daven groaned as his face flamed up again realizing his mistake. "I'm so sorry Mr. Lark, that wasn't... that was wrong of me to say..."

Ana glanced at Everest the two of them sharing a look before they started laughing, adding to Daven's embarrassment.

"Daven... first off, it's fine. Second, didn't I ask you to stop calling me Mr. Lark?" Everest's eyes were sparkling as he spoke, the laughter still evident in his voice. When he reached across the table to clasp Daven's hands, sparks seemed to course through his body. This was the first time they'd ever had skin on skin contact.

Everest gasped softly, the sound surprised. His eyes locked with Daven's, wonder and surprise lightening the soft lilac hue.

"Did... did you feel that?" Everest's voice brushed softly against Daven's ears as the omega squeezed Daven's hand. There was the faintest tremble, the only sign of uncertainty in the self-assured omega.

"Yes, Ev... yes, I felt that... After all this time... I've already carried you twice but never before... You're meant to be mine. My soulmate." A mixture of relief and joy fluttered through Daven's chest as he stared into his omega's eyes, already feeling the bond slowly forming between them.

"I thought Omi was your soul mate Dada?" Ana asked looking up at her father, a mix of confusion and uncertain betrayal at war with the joy on her face.

Daven glanced at his daughter trying to understand this himself. He felt Everest move to reclaim his hand, an action that prompted Daven to twist his own and gently catch the omega's hand.

"He was, monkey, Omi was my soul mate, but so if Everest." Daven smiled gently at his daughter hoping she would understand. "It would seem though that fate has decided that I get two soul mates."

The smile he sent Everest was intended to ease the sudden tension that had gone through his new omega, but a quick glance told him something else was off.

Everest eyes, that had been brimming with life and laughter just moments ago, were dull. He stared over Daven's shoulder, the normally vibrant purple of his eyes was almost grey. What color his skin had was gone, his face pale lips pinched tightly together.

"Ev?" Daven gently shook the hand he was holding trying to get the stunned omega's attention. "Everest, babe are you alright?"

Twisting in his booth Daven glanced behind him trying to see what could have caused his omega to freeze up like that. It couldn't have been him, could it? He knew finding a soul mate could be a shock but the look on Everest's face was one of fear now.

Turning, even more, his eyes would catch on a group of alpha's that had just entered the diner and moved to take up one of the larger corner booths. He couldn't be sure, but it seemed as though Everest was staring at one of them. The brute was massive and rather stunning to look at. Honey blonde hair brushed his shoulders offset by dark brown eyes.

Turning back to the table Daven realized that Everest must know that male, and not in a good way. He did look familiar after all, so there was a chance Daven had seen him at some of the omega rights rallies he'd gone to with Michael.

Making a quick decision he got up and paid for their food, leaving a few extra bills on the table as a tip. Daven moved to block Everest's view, cupping his face with callous rough hands.

"Everest, look at me." He kept his voice soft, hoping the group of alphas wouldn't overhear him using his soul mates name. It took a few moments for Everest's eyes to focus on Daven again, the fear still lingering in their depths. "Let's get out of here, alright babe? There's a park not far from here and you look like you could use the fresh air."

Everest nodded slowly rising to his feet, shooting a quick glance at the alphas. Ana would slide silently out of the booth, able to feel the tension slowly filling the space around her father. She quickly claimed one of Daven's and Everest's hands with her own.

They had almost made it to the door, when a voice spoke out, freezing Everest to the diner floor once more. A growl slowly rose up in Daven's voice as he turned to face the massive alpha he'd noticed earlier. On the alpha's work shirt was embroidered the name Foster.

"Well if it isn't my little songbird. Come to give us a song have you love?"