Chapter 23: Before the Long Slumber

I was sitting in the waiting room for surgery with my elbows on my knees holding my head in my hands. My foot was tapping nervously. A man comes out with a scrub cap and gown on with blood smeared all over it. He comes up to me "Mr. Holland, I'm Dr. Drake." I sit up straight and look at him.

"How did her surgery go?" He takes a seat in the seat next to me. "She's stable right now, but there were complications and we will have to go back in in a couple of days. You can see her now she should be waking up soon."

"Yeah, I would love to see her." "Okay, Mr. Holland please follow me this way." He said motioning towards the doors he just left. I got up and followed him through the doors and to the very room she is in, lying in another hospital bed. I see that her eyes are still closed shut. "Mr. Holland, there is one thing you should know before she wakes up. She was pregnant and it was undetected from all the treatments she had previously, the baby didn't survive the gunshot." "Thank you for notifying me, doctor."

I take a seat on the chair placed next to her bed, I take her hand into mine. Her eyelids slowly flutter open. "Hey darling, how are you feeling?" "Fine, especially with all the medication they have given me." I start to chuckle at her words. "I'm so glad you are here and alive. I was so worried."

She looks me in the eyes and smiled. "Tom, when I get discharged I want to exchange rings before I leave, no wedding." "Where are you going?" "I need to get away. I can't do this anymore. I want to travel around for a while. But every minute I'm gone you'll be on my mind." "Well, why postpone your little adventure when I have the rings we need here." You smile brightly. "I thought the ring is at home." "Yeah, it is."

Tom turns around and opens the bright red wrapper of the ring pop. He turns around again to face you. You giggle when you see what he has in his grasp. He takes your hand then gently slips the ring on your finger. "Wow, you even got my favorite flavor, cherry. You really did think of everything." "Well once you get out of the hospital and the mansion gets cleared of cameras then you can have the real thing." "I'm pretty happy with this ring though." Tom chuckles at her words. "You are my everything, I love you." You smile wide, "I love you."

Tom leans forward to close the gap between you, he presses his lips against yours. He cups the side of your face as the kiss deepens. You pull away to gaze into his deep brown eyes. "Tom, can you tell me what happened." "Which part?" He asks with a slight frown. "After I got shot part." "Well, the doctor there helped with your wounds till we got here, they rushed you into surgery and your surgeon says that they will have to operate again in a few days. And the baby was lost." "Oh." "I'm sorry." "You don't have anything to be sorry for. I'm fine right now and that's all that matters." "I saw Doris and she's going to get assigned your case." "That would be nice."

"You look tired darling I should let you sleep." "Okay, but don't you be going to lecture Harrison or anything." "Why would you think I would be going to do that." He said shocked. "Hmm, I dunno maybe for the fact that I'm pretty sure you know he likes me and knowing you, you are upset that he didn't say anything so you are going to blame him for me getting kidnapped." You stated sharply. "Pfff, no. I'm not going to do that." "Okay, then why isn't Harrison in here as well." "Because I'm your Husband and I wanted to see you first." "Yeah, okay." You said sarcastically.

"If you want to see Harrison, I'll go get him. But you do really need to rest for your next operation." "Yeah, I would like to see him and my brother if he's here too." "Okay, I'll go get them."

-

A few minutes later Harrison walks in. His blonde hair is ruffled all around as if he kept put his hand through it a million times. The bags under his eyes look as if he hasn't slept in a while. It makes you wonder how long you were in surgery. "Dude, you look like crap. How long was I in surgery?" "Says the one lying in the hospital bed." He remarked sarcastically. "You were in there all night and morning." "So, what's up with you and Tom?" You asked with curiosity glistening in your eyes. He spoke quiet and fast, "Nothing." "Something definitely happened you both are denying it." You nudged. "Charles showed Tom and Carson a video of me the night you gave me the file to look over. Where I...I...Uh..." He scratches the back of his head. "I...Uh practically confessed my love for you."

"I'm sorry." You said sadly. "Nothing to be sorry for." "I'm sorry because I don't feel the same for you, but I think you already knew that." "Still no need to be sorry. Can we at least be friends?" He asked hoping you'd say yes, because if he can't have you he at least wants you a part of his life. "Of course." You reach your arms out for a hug. He gladly accepts and hugs you back. You whisper in his ear, "I'm so glad we made it out alive." He pulls back and looks into your eyes. "The doctor said you have another surgery and that it would be more complicated than the first. What if you don't survive it?" "If you can't be positive can you at least be quiet. Whatever happens, happens, but I don't think I'm going to die, not today, not tomorrow, and not for a very long time. I have a life to live, a life where I'm not a mobster anymore, I'm so tired of that life, it has cost me so much. I don't want it to cost me my family, but knowing Tom he will want to be in that business still and I will support that."

"That's deep." "Harrison if you don't mind I am truly really tired but I want to see my brother before I go to sleep." "Yeah, I'll go get him. Bye" "Bye."

Carson promptly walks in, "Hey sis how are you doing?" "I'm really tired, but I wanted to see you." "Why?" He asks as he sits at the foot of your bed. "Because you are my brother and I love you. I don't want you to blame your self for any of this." "Y/n, you are in the hospital again, you've lost the baby, and I wasn't there to protect you. What a great older brother I am." You sit up and put your pinky out. "If you want to keep me safe, promise me that you will take over my share of the mob." Carson looks at you not sure what to say. "Okay, but I am not marrying Tom." You laugh at your brother's humor. "Well, I'm married to him so you don't have to. I want you guys to work together." "Okay sis, I think you need to rest now. I'll check on you when you wake up." "Okay, bye Carson."

Your eyes gently shut for a long slumber which you really needed and enjoyed. The only thing you found weird was how real all the sounds were. The really loud rapid beeping and the quick shuffling of feet.

-

Thank you guys so much for reading so far and showing all your support. I'm so sorry this chapter came late. If you want updates on when I've posted chapters and if the next chapter may be delayed do not hesitate to follow me so you can get the announcements. Again thank you so much for all the support. This is the last chapter of this book! I'm not sure if I will write an epilogue and post it here or write a sequel story. I do really want to bring Andie in to the plot and tie up loose ends and tell her story. I'm leaning more towards a sequel story. Not sure  if it would pick up from where the story left off or not. If I do plan to write a sequel I will definitely post an update here but the best way to know about it is to follow me so you can get my announcements. Thank you guys so much for reading. All the support I get is phenomenal, all the comments on the chapters mean the world to me.