Prologue

It was the most alarming... No, it was the most exhilarating occurrence to overtake my pathetic existence. At that moment, I was in need of a bit of excitement to delight my tired heart.

During this stage of my being, I retained the position of lead biologist, working as part of the Top-Nine a secret cabinet that operated under the direct authority of the Empress herself. Yes, there were Nephili in our ranks, myself included. We were, unique... Unlike any other beasts, the empire had the aspiration to generate.

The wailing... desperate monstrosity that trembled on the far side of the room was freshly discharged from the clutches of its cytogenetic holding chamber. This minute fiend was commissioned by Empress Miriam Lacombe herself.

The petite monster was exceptional in form... It was larger than other Nephili, and intensely robust. It had possessed elongated limbs, and needle-like talons protruding from its paws.

A golden mane trailed from its temple, and down the back of the small creature's spine. Two thin ears projected from the rear of the beast's temples. This innovative species was fabricated to be more nimble and faster thinking as well. The youngling was the first member of a superspecies of Nephili, affectionately dubbed Hydras. Yes... This child was my splendid, personal accomplishment, unlike any other.

A trail of destruction (that I would be forced to reluctantly tidy-up) was left across my private laboratory after the youngling had exploded from my grasp upon his release. I too was partially responsible for the disaster that would absorb all later hours of my personal time. So it was nothing to be too up in arms about. Besides, my current focus was occupied.

An hour faded past and had consumed every ounce of my patience with it. I carelessly rustled through a stainless drawer full of various syringes until I possessed the perfect gauge that would be useful in breaking the hydra's thick hide. It was up to me to bring the young Nephilim to its senses, and end the tiring escapades of that summer evening.

From a tiny vile I drew a soothing... rather foul sedative that was not of my design. But it was all I had possessed on file. I continued to expel a heavy sigh, and remove the red bangs from my vision.

The hydra panted rapidly in a state of shock while continuing to occupy its corner of my lab. Its fear instantly brought forth visions of the small creatures I had spent hours tormenting in the name of experimentation.

I rapidly shook the guilt away and proceeded to the space beside the youngling. Its scaly skin shimmered in my direct vision the small beast was still glazed with the thick embryonic fluid it had been encased in for eight years.

I proceeded to outstretch an ivory hand and delicately lay it upon the child's shoulder gaining an immediate response. The hydra loosened its position and shot me a petrified expression.
"It's alright..." I whispered beneath my breath with a smile aching to erupt across my face.

The sound of my voice, unfortunately, didn't convey desired results, instead, it alarmed the creature. The eight-year-old infant burst upward in its corner, I swiftly leaped to my feet in response and delivered a firm blow to its forearm with the needle in my opposing hand.

This forced an aching growl from the depths of the hydra's petite lungs, it was now apparent the evening's events would not close out so suddenly.

"Shit!" I exclaimed as the boy exhorted his complete strength in a panic. I failed to regain a grip on the child as he continued to repel my control. In an instant (fueled by pure instinct) the child hurtled over my shoulders and dove to the center of the room... before roughly collapsing onto the icy granite floor.

Unfortunate for the youngling, his strong cardiovascular system promptly finalized delivery of the sedative I had introduced into his petite body. This brought a feeling of sweet relief over me.

With the boy once again contained, I could now focus on preparing him for his first presentation... to my client, the Empress.
- Colonel R14-N Jester Akray

Albatross: Origins of an Empireजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें