Author's Notes

Disclaimer: I own NOTHING! I just created a handful of characters for my own amusement.

I saw AQUAMAN twice and I loved every second of it. Why do they have to make villains so sympathetic? I thought a lot about the character, King Orm Marius, and what kind of fic I wanted to write with him in the center. Here's how I'm planning on presenting this fic:

1) I think it's a cop out to just simply say "oh King Orvax was an abuser so King Orm is a tyrant". While in the comic books, which I've never read, one version of King Orvax is that he was an abuser and Queen Atlanna killed him. I want to present the relationship between King Orm and King Orvax differently. I liked how Atlanna saw Orm as a person who was misguided. We aren't born with prejudices, we're taught them. So I'm going to explore Orm's upbringing w/ Orvax.

2) The above item leads me to explore King Orvax. I was kinda inspired by the character Judith on VIKINGS. In an episode she tells King Alfred about how, as a king, he can't act, think, or feel like a normal person because a king has to do ANYTHING if they want to survive. I see King Orvax like that. He loves his child but his pride, paranoia, and sense of duty push him to mold Orm into the Warrior King his turns into.

3) I really wanted to explore Atlantean culture, especially the "we don't so mercy or forgive" bit. I decided to make Atlantis a sort of "honor/duty culture". Their culture is pretty sacred so they take their societal rules of placing duty and honor above anything else seriously. I was inspired by my favorite mini-series call Shogun. I decided that the nobility in particular would be really beholden to these standards.

4) I created the character Nerida Vulko. She's Vulko's daughter and spent most of her childhood with Orm and Mera. She's compassionate but untrusting of Surface Dwellers. She's a scholar and an artist. She's also conflicted about the war Orm wants to start and hopes she can help him find another solution.

5) One last thing is Atlanna and Orvax's marriage. Something seemed off with the timeline for me. When Atlanna meets Tom we assume she left before the marriage but she introduces herself as QUEEN OF ATLANTIS. When the Atlantean commandos come in they say they came on the orders of KING ORVAX. On top of that, it's my understanding that Orvax was a Military leader and Atlanna was a Princess. This leads me to believe they were already married which will play in to the Honor/Duty culture I'll be focusing on.

5) Yes...I realize I have a bunch of other fics I'm working on.  I was inspired especially since I don't see ANY King Orm fics anywhere on Wattpad. But I really hope I can come up with a routine to get all these chapters out.