The Aquaman

Disclaimer: I own NOTHING! I just created a handful of characters for my own amusement.

Thank you all for giving this story a chance. I absolutely loved AQUAMAN and really wanted to write a story surrounding these characters and I wanted to explore Atlantis. I especially liked King Orm and think he might've made a great king if he had the right person with him.

If you enjoy this story, please check out other stories I've written. Winter Break is here so hopefully I'll update them more frequently!
_____________________________
Nerida threw herself into her research when it was announced Princess Mera was returning to Atlantis. She even found excuses to take trips outside Atlantis and visit the Princess of the Fisherman Kingdom. She enjoyed her time with Orm, showing him treasures she collected from The Surface and sharing stories of each other's lives. They were even talking about visiting places on the Surface she visited. But now reality slammed her in the face. If only he weren't a king and not burdened with the responsibility of the entire ocean. If only she were a princess with a kingdom and army.

Princess Mera was indeed quite beautiful, elegant, and most importantly regal. When she took Orm's arm as they greeted guests for her homecoming feast they looked like a royal couple should. Not a hair out of place save the eyes. Mera's eyes told Nerida that she would rather swim with the Trench than be at Orm's side. Orm's eyes told Nerida nothing but sadness like a man doomed to imprisonment. For Orm's sake, she broadened her smile and greeted Mera like a long lost sister returning home.

"Nerida!" She smiled as she kissed her cheek. "You look stunning! I missed you so."

"I missed you too." Nerida smiled in return. She genuinely did miss her childhood friend and she genuinely hoped that happiness would soon find all of them. "You must tell us of your adventure of guarding the Mother Box at the feast. No doubt it's an epic tale."

"Indeed." Mera smirked mischievously.

The feast was extravagant. The dining hall was decorated in the latest Xebel style while the food showcased the best dishes Atlantis had to offer. Everyone too their places, Nerida with her father and Met and Orm at the head of the table. Each course was filled with light chatter until desert was served. As guest lightly sampled the Atlantean delicacies, Mera told the fantastic tale of her encounter with Steppinwolf. "He was a beast of a man. We lost good soldiers that day." She lamented. "And just as he spirited away the Box, someone I never expected to see appeared."

"Who?" Nerida asked excitedly. "Who was it?"

"Arthur Curry." Mera tried to suppress a smile.

Nerida furrowed her brow. "Arthur Curry? I'm unfamiliar with that name."

"My half-brother." Orm kept his face neutral despite being intrigued. "He came for The Mother Box?"

"Rather, he came for Steppinwolf." Mera continued. "He and others called 'Meta-Humans' fought off the beast."

"Fascinating." Orm mused. He thought about his brother often. At one time he begged his father to bring his brother to Atlantis, to save him from the barbaric Surface Dwellers. King Orvax's fury that day was something of legend in the Atlantean Court. He knew to never mention his brother again after that. But now that Orm was King... "Perhaps we should send for him and bring him to Atlantis to thank him for his courage."

"Did he seem interested in other Atlanteans?" Vulko asked. Despite his cool nature, he was nervous at the thought of Arthur coming to Court.

"Well..." Mera slightly winced. "He was rather agitated when I mentioned Queen Atlanna..."

"Enough." Orm firmly declared. "If he's not interested in learning about his noble roots then let the Surface keep him."

The conversation quickly moved on to wedding preparations and Mera's coronation as Queen. Normally, Nerida's heart would ache at such talk, but at the moment she was concerned about Orm's attitude toward his brother. For a second she saw hope in his eyes at the thought of reaching out toward his lost family. But hearing Arthur's negative attitude towards his mother's people, snuffed out that flicker of hope. In a blink she didn't see Orm sitting at the head of the table, but Orvax's cold stoic gaze. She knew Orm was slowly losing himself and she knew that if nothing was done soon, the philosopher king he was now would be replaced by Orvax's shadow and the world would be darker for it. As much as it hurt, she knew this marriage HAD to work and the Trident will be the final piece to lock it all together. It wasn't about her feelings anymore, it was about what was best for Atlantis.