Part 2

Chapter 2

A/N- Thank you ever so much for liking this story. I'm really pressed for time, so I'm unable to respond to your comments. Please do drop me a line if you wish to discuss either of my stories, I will share my email, so that we can keep in touch.
PMs for this short story will be sent as and when I update Chasing Dreams.

'Chote you will need to perform the aarthi with Kushi.' Anjali ordered her brother.
'Di is this entirely necessary? You know I don't believe in God.' Kushi looked at her husband's face as if he had said the unpardonable. Arnav returned it with a look that challenged her to say what she had in mind. Kushi knew it was better not to instigate an argument especially when they hardly knew each other. She looked away, trying to focus elsewhere.
'Chote it is not about what you believe, as a newly married couple both of you will have to perform the aarthi together.'
Arnav swore to himself, cursing his stars and luck and everything that seem to be conspiring against him.
'Chote!'
'Fine I will do the damn aarthi.' Arnav proceeded to join Kushi near the idol of the God, all the while mumbling something to himself that made it absolutely clear how unhappy he was.
Anjali offered the aarthi plate to Kushi. Arnav stood at the same spot, making no effort to accept the plate.
'Arnav!' His Naani used a condescending tone and Arnav was left with no other option but to hold the aarthi with Kushi. As he gripped the aarthi plate, Arnav's fingers brushed lightly against Kushi's. Kushi immediately looked up, the unexpected contact producing a feeling foreign to her. But she found Arnav not paying any attention to her. She turned her face to complete the aarthi.
——————————-
Kushi was in the kitchen preparing her first meal for her husband and new family, following recipes from a book that her Maasi have given her. Payal walked in shortly.
The two sisters hugged. Payal shared what one would call a love hate relationship with Kushi. She was ten years old when her world changed forever and she was forced to share her toys, dresses, bangles and most importantly the love of her doting family with her cousin who had normally visited her only during vacations. Slowly she accepted Kushi as her younger sister, as she grew to like her soft nature and pleasing personality. But it was never smooth sailing for the siblings. Payal's mother hen nature made her fiercely protective of Kushi especially when the girls in the school would make fun of Kushi being an orphan. But at times Payal's competitiveness manifested in the form of jealousy and an innate need to show Kushi her place.
Payal parked herself on the worktop to give Kushi some much needed assistance in the new kitchen and also to gossip. Kushi had cooked occasionally in the past, her studies and job never really giving her the luxury of time. She had never gone beyond cooking a simple sabzi or a paratha. Today was going to be the first time when she would cook a complete breakfast accompanied by a sweet dish. Given the short period in which Kushi's wedding had been finalised, Garima didn't have the time to train Kushi, so she had told Payal to assist her sister. Anjali had offered to help, but Kushi had refused. Never to shy away from a challenge, she wanted to do this on her own. But a part of her was stressed. Given that this was the first thing she was doing as the daughter in law of the family, she wanted to do a good job.
'So how was your wedding night Kushi?' Payal asked winking at Kushi.
Kushi made up some excuse about Arnav and her being extremely tired.
Kushi's thoughts went back to her first night with her husband, how two of them spent the night in the same room in the same bed, but at the same time the distances between them couldn't have been any wider.
Kushi had a restless night, she was unable to find her comfort spot in the new mattress. And soon she had been carried away by memories of how the wedding had been fixed and then she had let her mind be swept away by the fears that were slowly gripping her being.
Early in the morning Anjali had knocked on their door to wake up the newly wed couple. She had joked about giving them enough time to set things right to avoid any embarrassment. Kushi wished she could scream and tell her how wrong she had been in her assessment. A much annoyed Arnav woke up from his bed and without sparing as much as a look at his wife or even greet her, he walked towards the door. Anjali had greeted her brother and had made up an excuse to greet Kushi, so that she could examine the room, to look for any obvious signs of intimacy between the couple. But she had been left disappointed. She asked for Arnav to meet her outside the room and the siblings seemed to have an heated argument. By the time Arnav had returned to the room Kushi had already left to take a shower.
Kushi served breakfast to everyone in the dining table. His family had tried to put her at ease by singing praises of her cooking, cracking a few jokes, trying to make her smile. They knew the conditions behind the wedding and also knew that Arnav might be giving Kushi a difficult time, so they did everything in their power to put a smile on her face. But her smile never reached her eyes. The one person whose opinion mattered the most to her, hadn't said a word. He ate very little. 'Was the food not to his liking? Did he find it too oily, too spicy?' She wondered.
'Chote, why don't you eat this sugar free halwa made by Kushi?' Anjali asked her brother, having noticed Kushi stealing glances at Arnav with a sadness and longing.
'No Di, I have a long day at work, I cannot eat heavy.'
'Work? Chote!' she admonished her brother.
'Di we are close to finalising a deal with buyers from the US. I need to be in the office. I made it clear when the wedding date was set.'
'But Chote...Its Kushi's first day in this home, her first day as your wife.'
'Its okay Di. I have all of you to keep me company. I will be fine.' Kushi replied, trying to ease out the growing tension in the table.
Anjali smiled fondly at Kushi, 'Kushi its not like you need Arnav today. You need to go home for pag phera.'
Kushi was caught in two minds, how could she tell her sister in law that given a choice she would never return to that place she once called as her home.
'Don't worry Kushi as per the tradition I will send Arnav to pick you up.'
'Di...' Arnav replied.
'Arnav there won't be anymore discussions on this matter. If you want to go to work today, you will have to bring Kushi back home in the evening.' Arnav kept quiet, he knew better than pushing his luck and creating a scene. He had more than enough time to do what he had in mind.
A little while later, Kushi's uncle came to Shantivan to take Kushi home. The family sat in the living room, talking to him. 'Bitiya why don't you inform Arnav that you are leaving and then start. We can't keep your father waiting for long.' Naani told Kushi, giving the couple an opportunity to talk.
Kushi hesitated, she was yet to have a direct conversation with her husband. Why would he care about her plans for the day when he had already made his and had not bothered to inform her.
'Ji Naani ji.'
Kushi walked towards her room, mentally rehearsing what she would tell Arnav. As she entered what was their room now, she didn't find Arnav. She decided to go down, glad at having been given an excuse, but she heard his voice from the pool beside their bedroom.
As she walked closer to the pool Arnav's despondent voice grew clearer. 'You have to call me back. I have been trying to reach you for so long. We need to meet, we need to talk.'
She entered the pool and saw Arnav's back facing her. He was running his fingers through his hair. He sounded upset and stressed about something.
'Please call me. Please.' And with that he ended the call.
He turned around to see Kushi standing behind him. He was initially caught unaware by her presence but then he hid it.
Kushi stood there fidgeting with the hem of her pallu. She looked around the pool, anywhere but her husband and said, 'I'm going to my Maasi's home for pag phera. Naaniji asked me to inform you.' She said while tangling and untangling her fingers from a small knot she had made out of the saree.
'Hmmm okay.' Arnav said unsure of what he was supposed to say. But the fact that Kushi had referred to her home as her aunt's home didn't escape his notice.
'Okay bye,' Kushi said quickly just wishing to get the hell out of the uncomfortable situation that she and her husband were a part of. She turned back and started walking back into the room. She had taken a few steps when she stopped and said, 'I hope you are okay.' She asked with a hint of concern in her voice. When he hadn't still replied, she added, 'You didn't sound fine earlier on the phone.' Kushi had finally managed to look Arnav in his eyes, the first time since yesterday.
'Oh that call. It was a supplier, giving us some trouble. Nothing that can't be taken care of.' Arnav mumbled, making up the first excuse that came to his head.
Kushi acknowledged his answer and started walking into the room.
'Be ready by six.' Kushi turned again, with a confused expression.
'Woh I need to bring you home after pag phera. Remember what naani said.'
'Sure I will be ready by six.' Kushi said with a dazzling smile, her first in days.
——————————-
Kushi sat in her old bedroom having a heart to heart conversation with her Buaji. Well she wasn't really her Buaji, she was Payal's. But over the years Madhumathi had managed to build a strong bond with Kushi, the bubbly young girl bringing the much needed sunshine in her own childless life.
'Bitiya, you have to forget the past and embrace the future. I understand the conditions in which the wedding happened and I curse myself for not being there for you, but you have to let it go. You are now married and you must do everything possible to make this work.'
'I don't know Buaji. Arnav ji hasn't even spoken to me. And I will be leaving for Ahmedabad in a few weeks. What can I do in such s short period of time?'
Madhumathi held her nieces hands, 'Kushi it doesn't matter who takes the first step in a married relationship. That's the beauty of marriage, there is no I only we. So don't hesitate to take the first step.'
Kushi considered Buaji's words, from where she came she couldn't or rather she wouldn't take her marriage lightly. An unsuccessful marriage was never an option, she had to make peace with her fate and take the first steps towards cementing their relationship. But how should she start?
Having been raised with a sister and having studied in women's only school and university, Kushi's interactions with the opposite sex were few and far in between. The only man she had ever managed to speak regularly was Payal's husband. She felt like a fish out of a pond. She didn't know how to speak to her husband, how to build a relationship, how to balance family and studies. Suddenly Kushi felt the weight of the world on her shoulders. A part of her wished that she had never grown old and remained the young girl who led an uncomplicated life, whose only focus in life was to get into one of the IIM's.
Kushi hugged her Buaji tightly and let the tears fall. Tears over her lost childhood, tears over choices and decisions that were made for her, tears over her fate which always had a way of letting her down, tears over the man who wasn't making any of this easy on her.
—————————
It was forty five minutes past six and still there were still no signs of Arnav. Garima and Madhumathi were busy cooking a special dinner for him. Kushi stood in the balcony searching the parking slot and the road nearby for any traces of his car. But the car never came, nor did he. She wanted to call him and ask him about his whereabouts, but she didn't even have his number. 'Should I call Anjali di or her jiji for his number?'
While Kushi was lost in her thoughts, the doorbell rang. Her family opened the door and invited Arnav in. Kushi stood in one of the corners taking the scene in. Amongst all the fawning, Kushi saw Arnav's troubled eyes, the creases on his forehead, the disheveled hair. It felt like he was on the edge, like he would break apart any moment.
'Bitua, Kushi has been waiting for you for the last hour. She had been looking for you from the balcony. Why are you late?' Madhumati asked, indirectly letting Arnav know that Kushi had been waiting for him.
'Woh Buaji, there are some serious issues at work. So I got late. I'm sorry.' Kushi was please that he at least apologised.
'Oh that's okay. Kushi why don't you show your husband to the bathroom so that he can freshen up. We will start dinner after that.'
'Actually we can't stay for dinner. There is something at work that needs my attention. So if you don't mind I will drop Kushi home and the head back to the office.' Looking at how troubled Arnav looked, Kushi felt that he was dealing with an issue of a grave nature.
Kushi said her byes to the family. Madhumathi hugged her and reminded her of their conversation. Kushi silently acknowledged her advise and promised to do something. The drive back to Shantivan had been uneventful. Arnav was lost in his own thoughts and so was Kushi. The sudden ringing of his phone interrupted the uncomfortable silence. Arnav silently listened to what the caller was saying.
'Thanks for the information. I will go there right away.' He then paused and then replied, 'No I have a set of keys. Thanks again.' He put the phone down and looked at Kushi, 'Do you think you can take a cab or an auto home? I need to be somewhere.'
'Sure Arnavji. But is everything okay at work? You look very stressed.'
Seeing Kushi's concern, Arnav felt like kicking himself for suggesting that she take a taxi.
'Could you drop me near that street. I can see a few cabs lined up.' Arnav however drove the past the street, 'Arnavji...woh.'
'I'll drop you home Kushi.' Kushi smiled when she heard her name for the first time from her husbands mouth. She then looked outside of the window, the city lights passing away as a blur.
Once they had reached home, Arnav stopped the car. 'Kushi I will be late.'
'But.. Naani ji said she will need to take our aarthi upon my return.'
'Not now Kushi. Tell Naani that I will explain later. And please tell them not to call me.' Arnav said with an edge to his voice, trying to mask his rising temper.
Kushi nodded her head and got out of the car. Something didn't feel right. She prayed to her Devi Mayya asking her to solve whatever problem that Arnav was facing at work.
——————————-
'Please let me in,' Arnav begged, as he tried to push the door open. The door had been held by a chain.
'Go away, there's a reason I latched the door close with a chain. It means I don't want to see you.' Came back the terse reply.
'You have to let me explain. You owe it to me, to us, to our love.'
The woman on the other side of the door waited for a few seconds, she wiped the tears that she promised to herself she wouldn't waste anymore on this man. She went towards the door and unhooked the chain.
'You have five minutes. And next time don't even try using the spare key as I will be changing the locks to my apartment.' She told him in a no-nonsense tone.
Arnav walked to her quickly and held the woman in an intimate hug. 'I have missed you...'
Arnav had finally felt at peace after weeks of desperation and restlessness, a feeling of having lost a piece of his life and heart. The woman held her hands down, closed her knuckles tightly with a lot of effort, not wishing to reciprocate the hug. She would be damned if she gave in after everything that had happened.
Arnav moved his head from her shoulders and started kissing her all over her face, her hair, her forehead, her nose, her cheeks. She stood there with her eyes closed letting him kiss her, allowing herself to be swept away by the feeling that promised her temporary respite but a lifetime of pain and heartbreak. He finally proceeded towards her lips.
'No Arnav.' She closed his lips with her fingers, she realised she could no longer encourage this, that they could never go back.
Arnav lightly kissed her fingers that covered his lips.
'What the f**k is he doing here?' Came another voice from the door.
'Sid...Arnav wanted to speak to me.'
Sid walked towards Arnav and held him by his collar, 'How many times have I f**king told you to leave me sister alone. Can't you f**king get it into your head?'
'Sid at least give me a chance to explain. I need to speak to her.'
'Well sorry there buddy, you lost your chance. Now why don't run back to your docile wife and live the life that you had promised your grandmother, you would.'
Arnav looked at the woman with a yearning, silently pleading with his eyes.
'No Arnav, Sid is right. We are over. I have no interest in what you have to say. Please go away, go away from my life. Your presence brings nothing but pain and bad memories.'
'But your presence brings nothing but good memories and love. I still love you Lavanya.'
'If you don't leave now, I swear I'm going to break your f**king bones and send them as a wedding gift to your wife. Get out you bas***d!' Sid growled.
Arnav walked to the door and before he stepped out, he looked Lavanya in the eyes one last time and said, 'I love you Lavanya and nothing will ever change that, not even my wife.'