Part 4

Chapter 4A

Arnav joined the rest of the family in the dining room for lunch. Akash had already left for office to try and resolve the last minute pending issues that had cropped up in the deal that they were about to agree with the buyers from the US.

As soon as Arnav came down the stairs, his eyes tried searching for Kushi who was nowhere to be seen. He sat on the dining table, yet his eyes were glued to the kitchen entrance, his ears tuned to see if he could hear her.

Anjali served him lunch and Arnav's eyes once again went to the kitchen entrance.

Anjali who had noticed her brother's restless eyes said, 'She is not here Chote, she went to a mall buy some things for her stay in Ahmedabad. She should be back shortly.'

'Di, how did she go? I hope she took one of the cars?' He asked his sister. Although their marriage had been a sham, Arnav was still concerned for Kushi's safety and her well-being. That was the least he could do.

'No Chote, I insisted that she wait for the car as Akash had taken one and Naani took the other car to the temple. But she insisted on going to the mall in an auto.' Anjali then added, 'She assured me that she was used to it.'

Arnav used another cuss word softly, lest his conservative family heard it and told him off. His temper had always been on the edge from an early age. The smallest of provocations or reasons was all that was needed for his barely controlled temper to snap, for him to let it out in the form of swear words or by lashing at the person who had caused it.

'Chote Akash told me that one of you or both of you might have to go to the US next week to resolve the issues with the deal.' Naani said from the other end of the table, she had returned a short while ago from the temple. 'I have told Akash that it would be better to avoid this trip as Kushi doesn't even have a passport and it wont be fair to leave her alone here.' Arnav nodded his head and kept quiet, there was no use discussing the trip when it was not even finalized.
As he was finishing up lunch, he heard someone ring the bell. Payal opened the door and Kushi had walked in. He heard the exchange between the two sisters partly, something about not finding the right laptop and too confused about clothes to get for her stay in Ahmedabad. After a few seconds he saw Kushi walking in, wearing a simple white full sleeved shirt and a pair of blue jeans. This was the first time he had really seen Kushi, noticed how young she really was behind the heavy traditional outfits she had worn during the wedding. The casual look made her seem even more younger than she was, almost childlike and innocent and he was furious with his family for choosing someone so young and innocent to marry a monster like him. He closed his fists, he cursed himself for putting the young girl through so much, at a time whendealing with was a temperamental husband with his own issues should have been the last thing in her head.

'Kushi ji why dont you join us for lunch? Chote has been asking after you for a while. I think he was missing you.' Anjali told Kushi with a glint in her eyes. She was going to do everything to bring her brother and his wife together.

Kushi stood rooted to her spot. 'No Di, I had lunch already. I need to keep these in the room.' She pointed to the shopping bags and coolly lied. She knew Anjali was trying hard to get them both together. After all why would her husband miss her when he had made it clear that she was unwanted.

She took the steps to the room. Since last night she had stopped calling it 'her' room as she was no longer sure about their marriage or the place that she was now calling as her home, or whether Arnav and she would would go the distance. Arnav had made it amply clear that she had no place in his life and he would make no efforts in building their relationship.