Part 3

Chapter 3A

'Akash who is this girl with Chote in this picture?' Anjali asked her younger cousin holding the Page three section of Delhi Times, a popular city newspaper. Arnav had been spotted, holding a stunning woman by her waist in a party.

Akash looked like a deer caught in the headlights. 'Hmm... Di, I think it will be better if Arnav answers this question.'

'Akash...' His mother Manorama, egged him.

'Fine Ma. She is Lavanya D'Souza, a fairly popular model.' Akash said and immediately returned to read the newspaper he was holding. He knew his brother wouldn't appreciate him, divulging any more information on his relationship with Lavanya.

'What did you say her surname was?' Devyani probed.

'D'Souza, Daadi. She is half Christian, half Hindu. She is also half Spanish and half Indian.' Akash replied knowing very well what his Daadi was inferring to.

'Christian?' Devyani said sounding not a bit happy about this piece of information.

——————————-

'Naani I can't attend the dinner tonight, I have some work.'

The Raizada's were hosting a dinner for the Guptas after Payal and Akash's wedding. Devyani and Anjali hoped to use the opportunity to get Arnav and Kushi to meet in a more personal environment. During the wedding they were taken in by Kushi's simple and warm personality. They knew Arnav still carried the burden of his past and that someone like Kushi would finally give him the happiness he deserved and help him move forward.

'But Akash mentioned that you both were free this evening.' Anjali joined in the conversation.

'I'm going out with a friend Di, I cant do dinner. Please don't force me.'

—————————————

'Chote is this any time to come home?' Devyani asked pointing to the clock which had just struck five in the morning. She had woken up early to participate in a puja in a temple far away.

'Naani I was out with friends.'

'Friends or girl friend?' Devyani asked with a raised eyebrow.

'Fine you want the truth, yes I was out with my girl friend.' Arnav replied, having enough of the constant questioning. He was twenty six years old, yet his family treated him as if he were an adolescent. He wanted the truth to be out in the open as he didn't want to hide any information about Lavanya, she was too precious to do anything like that.

'Is Ms D'Souza your girlfriend?'

'Naani have you been asking about my personal life behind my back?'

'Chote that is no way to speak to me. This is my house and I won't tolerate this disrespectful tone. Answer my question is Ms D'Souza your girlfriend?'

'Yes Naani, do you have a problem with that?' Arnav replied, challenging his grandmother.

Devyani closed her eyes for a moment. 'Break things off with her. She is a Christian and I don't want you to date her.'

'First of all she is half Christian. I love her and and it makes no difference to me, whether she is Christian, Muslim or Jewish.'

————–

'Oh my God! This woman will malign our family name Sasuma. See these pictures.' Manorama handed the latest issue of Cosmopolitan to her mother in law. She had seen a few revealing pictures of Lavanya in the magazine while she was getting her hair coloured in a beauty parlour and had immediately stepped out to purchase a copy to show the pictures to her mother in law. Manorama never shied away from an opportunity to gossip and instigate a fight in the family, it wouldn't be any different now.