05

"'I know he has a bad nature,' Catherine said: 'he's your son. But I'm glad I've a better, to forgive it; and I know he loves me, and for that reason I love him.'"

I paced up and down the bedroom, Bella lying back in her chair as Alice dabbed at her face with various tinctures and powders. Rosalie had gone to get herself ready after Jasper took Ethan to Emily's. My hair and makeup were done, but I had yet to put on my dress. Alice had provided me with a silky lavender robe for the meantime.

"'Mr. Heathcliff you have nobody to love you;'" I continued, turning the page of the dog-eared book, "'and, however miserable you make us, we shall still have the revenger of thinking that your cruelty arises from your greater misery.'" I glanced over at Bella, convinced that she was asleep. "'You are miserable, are you not? Lonely, like the devil, and envious like him? Nobody loves you—nobody will cry for you when you die! I won't be you!'" I raised an eyebrow. "She's a little mean."

Alice hummed in agreement, dusting Bella's cheekbones with a light, sparkly powder.

Rosalie swept into the room, a vision in silver, and crossed the room toward me, patting my arm. "You can go and get dressed now, Im. It's almost time."

I nodded and smiled, shooting Bella a glance as I walked toward the door. Her shoulders bunched in tension—she definitely wasn't asleep.

I ducked out of the room and jogged down the corridor, collecting the garment bag from where it hung on the banister. I could hear the guests arriving, the low murmur of conversation creeping up the stairs, but a cool hand on my shoulder stopped me dead.

"Jesus," I whispered, squeezing my eyes shut for a second as I caught back the breath that had whooshed from my chest. "Don't sneak up on me like that."

"Sorry," Jasper said softly. "Are you okay? Why are you running?"

"I've got to get into my dress and the back is very complicated to do up," I said, peeking down the staircase at the people pouring into the house.

"I just wanted to let you know that Ethan is all good at Emily's," he said. "He cried a little bit at first but settled down just fine."

I looked up at him and my chest panged. "Thank you. I'll call her after the ceremony to check in."

He nodded.

He wore his jacket and waistcoat now, and a lavender pocket square. An expensive-looking watch glinted at me from the wrist of the hand that was in his pocket, his other arm hanging down at his side. I swallowed dryly, heart clattering a little too loudly as I remembered the feeling of his lips, but I cleared my throat.

"Um...I should go change."

"Yeah. Of course."

I smiled at him and slipped into the bathroom.

The dress slid onto my skin smoothly. Alice had altered it so that it fit like a second skin—which was a little daunting at first—but it was still comfortable. Rosalie had pinned my hair in a complicated braid with violets woven into it and lent me some diamond earrings, and once the dress was on, I looked like a different person.

I pushed my arms back to try and do up the buttons. When I'd been trying the dress on, Alice simply held it up with pegs, so I hadn't had a huge amount of practise with contorting my body to strap myself into the garment. I fumbled, my hands clammy with nerves and slipping on the shiny buttons, scowling at my reflection in the mirror.

There was a knock on the door.

"Just a minute," I called.

"Do you need help?"

I faltered at Jasper's voice.

"I can tell you're getting frustrated."

I cursed his empathy. But I still opened the door.

I held the front of the dress to my chest and avoided his eyes, blushing. "I can't get the buttons."

He nodded and kept his eyes near the floor.

I turned my back to him, suddenly aware of the lack of fabric between his hands and my bare skin. He started to do up the buttons, the tips of his icy fingers brushing my spine. He moved with excruciating slowness, even though both of us knew he could have done up the dress in a heartbeat. I tried to slow my breathing, to move my focus away from his hands and the memory of his mouth on mine. His hands lingered on my shoulders for half a moment once the dress was fastened, and then he stepped away.

"Thank you," I said, a little shaky.

"No problem."

"I've, uh..." I turned to him, pointing back out to the corridor. "I've got to get back."

"Oh, yeah," he said, stepping out of the doorway so I could get past. "Of course. See you out there."

I nodded and slipped past him.

"So?" I said as I stepped into Alice's bedroom, twirling around with my arms held out.

Alice squealed in delight. "Perfect!"

Rosalie smiled at me. "You look lovely."

"Thank you," I said, before turning to Bella. "How are you doing?"

She was stood in the centre of the room as Alice faffed with the skirt of her dress, arms pressed tightly to her sides and eyes glazed over. She barely responded when I spoke, looking a little green. I glanced at Alice in mild panic.

"Is she going to throw up?"

"No," Alice said sternly. "She will not ruin my masterpiece, or her dress."

The dress was amazing. Sleek and form-hugging, with intricate lace and bead work running down the scooped back. I grinned.

"You look fantastic, Bells."

She gave me a queasy smile.

"Almost showtime," Rosalie murmured, glancing at the clock.

Bella swayed as if she might fall.

I moved over to her and gripped her hand so tightly that she jolted. Her eyes snapped to meet mine and I stared at her with a determination I didn't even know I had.

"You're going to be fine," I said, tone accidentally a little threatening. "It's just a walk. You're walking toward Edward. That's it."

She swallowed and nodded, the action a little shaky but resolute.

"Enjoy it," I said, softening a little, before kissing her cheek.