10

"Oh! Hi, honey."

"Hey, Em," I said as I slipped through the door, swinging my car keys around my finger.

"He's in the living room," she said with a smile.

I gained speed as I walked, swerving through the doorway and careening to a halt when I saw Ethan sprawled out on the changing mat, kicking his pudgy little legs in glee. Sam was kneeling in front of him, holding a dirty diaper out away from his body like it was a live explosive.

"Hey," I said.

He looked at me, half-panicked. "Good morning."

"Hey, buddy," I cooed, sinking to my knees beside Ethan and taking his little hand. "Have you been good?"

He blew a spit bubble at me and gave one last definitive kick, then let out a squeak. My heart clenched at the sound, warmth spreading through my chest. I scooped him up from the mat after properly fastening the clean diaper Sam had attempted to put on him and cradled him to my chest, running my fingers through the silky wisps of red on the top of his head.

"Thank you so much for looking after him," I murmured softly, smiling as Sam slid an arm around Emily's waist and kissed the top of her head.

"Not a problem," Emily said. "He had a bit of a hissy fit this morning, but other than that, he was good as gold."

I bounced gently from side to side and patted Ethan's back when he hiccupped. "Only one? That's a new record."

"How was your night?"

"It was...interesting."

Emily raised an eyebrow at me.

"Jake's surprise appearance at the reception party spiced things up a bit." My eyes flashed to meet Sam's for a moment, and he locked his jaw.

"Oh, yes," Emily said. "I heard about that."

"The kid gets a bit hot-headed," Sam murmured.

I hummed.

Emily's eyes narrowed a fraction. "Did anything else happen?"

I blew out my cheeks and tilted my head. "Well, my brother, who I haven't spoken to in about a year, showed up early this morning."

Emily blinked. "Really? Why?"

"Our mum died," I said. "He came to tell me and start making arrangements."

Death was an incredibly effective conversation killer.

"Oh," Emily breathed. "I'm so sorry."

"Thank you," I said softly. "I should, uh, get going. Thank you again for looking after him."

"Anytime," Sam said, tone a little more gruff than usual.

The drive back was irritatingly silent.

I'd been banking on Ethan to make noise and distract me, but he just stared up at the roof of the car with wide, gormless eyes. Barely made a peep. So instead, I was forced to contemplate what was going to happen next. I needed to get in touch with Elliot, sort out what we were going to do about the funeral and the inevitable debts our mum left behind and do all of that without biting his head off about the disappearing act. He deserved a family as much as anyone—I wasn't going to begrudge him that. But I deserved an explanation, a phone call, even a measly postcard. Anything but the total silence I received.

I needed to tell Meg. That is, if she didn't already know. She was at work and wouldn't be back until the early afternoon, when she would want to sleep. I would have to tell her quickly; else it would never feel like the right time. Would she want to see Elliot? Probably. Did I want her to see him? No, but it wasn't my call.