08

"He's doing just fine, honey."

I chewed on my thumb nail, the phone screen cold against my cheek. "Are you sure? He's not being difficult?"

"All he does is sleep and poop; he can't be that troublesome."

I scoffed. "Wait until three in the morning. He's an evil genius, really—knows exactly when to strike."

Emily's laugh was like honey, even through a crackling phone line. "So, how was the wedding?"

"Beautiful," I said. "I cried."

"Aw," she cooed. "You've gone soft."

"That's slander."

"Your defensiveness proves my point."

I shook my head and paused a moment. "One of my friends is married, Em."

"I know. She's half my age and she got married before me."

"Green isn't a good colour on you."

"Every colour is good on me, don't lie."

"I wish I could argue with you."

"That doesn't usually seem to be a problem."

I giggled.

"Go and enjoy the rest of your night, sweetie," she said. "Ethan is all good. I promise."

"Okay," I sighed. "Thanks again, Emily."

"No worries."

I stayed where I was for a moment after hanging up the call.

I was exhausted. The dancing had been an effective catharsis for my emotional conflict, but it had also left my feet buzzing and my back aching. My arms felt empty without Ethan, and my chest was cold without him snoozing and dribbling all over me. I even missed the grating, shrill pitch of his cry.

"Alice, why couldn't I have packed for myself?"

"It would give away the surprise!"

Alice skipped down the stairs, carrying a heavy-looking suitcase like it were full of feathers, and Bella plodded along behind her. She'd changed out of the ivory gown into a beige skin-tight number that looked constrictive, to say the least. I raised an eyebrow and whistled.

She glared at me. "Stop it."

"See? I told you," Alice said, tone a little haughty, before she dashed off to put the suitcase in the car.

Bella turned to me. "I love her—but she's a nightmare."

I grinned. "She's your sister-in-law, now. Mistakes were made on your part, my friend."

Bella attempted a smile but seemed distracted. She sucked in a sharp breath. "I'm married."

I nodded. "I know."

"I'm Bella Cullen. Mrs Bella Cullen."

I wrinkled my nose. "Ew, you're such a grown-up."

She rolled her eyes gently. "You literally have a child."

"Hey, that wasn't planned," I retorted, wiggling a finger at her. "This was all you."