12

"Let me explain!" Natsu pounded his fists on Makarov's desk after the old man had told Warren to alert all of the guild members that Natsu had been found. "Just please! Let me explain everything!"

Makarov shook his head and stood up in his chair. "Natsu, this behavior is unacceptable. There is an invisible spy on the loose in the guild hall, and you're being reckless!" Makarov shouted. Natsu clenched his fists and growled.

"I'm not being reckless! I'm doing serious work-"

"Natsu! You don't know what you are doing! You need to understand that Gray is gone and that no one knows when he is coming back or if he is ever coming back! Stop focusing on the things you want and focus on the current situations! He left a month ago!" Natsu's mouth widened. That was the worst thing he has ever heard Makarov say. Natsu sure as hell remembered when the old man sent parties to look for the ice mage. However, when they came back empty handed, it was like he gave up as well.

Natsu stood up from his seat and knocked off all of the items, making papers and pencils fly all over the room. Makarov didn't say a word.

"Gray is a problem! Finding him is a need, Gramps! I need to find him! I have to! I'm doing whatever I can to get things done, and if you have a problem with that then just stay out of my way!" Natsu looked down at his feet. The old man at the other side of the table stood with his arms across his chest. The room was quiet for an awkward amount of time. And Makarov had forgotten that Erza was standing in the corner of the office. He leaned against the wall with her eyebrows raised an her arms crossed over her chest.

The old man sighed and hopped on top of the desk, making his way towards Natsu. The dragon slayer's eyes widened before he realized what had just happened. A powerful pain make his check ache, and he was looking at a different wall in the room. Makarov grunted before grabbing Natsu by his scarf and pulling his ear towards his mouth.

"Listen here, and listen now," Makarov whispered, "This guild has been a mess since Gray has disappeared. And if you're the only one that cares about what happened to him, then keep searching for him." Makarov pushed Natsu away, and the dragon slayer was stunned. Didn't he just yell at him for saying to stop searching for his friend?

Makarov nodded towards Natsu, and Natsu slowly nodded back before making his way to the door where Erza was standing at. He placed his hand on the door knob and twisted it, pushing the door open. The scarlet haired woman followed closely behind before shutting the door and pulling Natsu aside.

"You really do care for him, huh?" Erza asked. Natsu raised an eyebrow. "Huh?"

"You and Gray are always fighting. And you've been searching for him since he's vanished. You love him, don't you?" Natsu blinked. When he couldn't say anything, he shut his eyes tightly. Erza folded her arms and waited to hear what the dragon slayer had to say.

"The guild just . . . isn't the same without him," Natsu said before walking away quickly. Erza smirked and followed him.

•••

After Erza and Lucy took Natsu to Makarov's office, Gray wanted to test out something. He was now able to hold and move items by focusing his energy on them. So maybe he was able to use his magic as well?

When the second floor of the guild hall was empty, he practiced his magic ability up there. He already knew he was cold enough to make frost, so now it was time to make ice. "Ice make: shield!" Gray shouted to himself while performing his usual stance. Only a patch of frost appeared on the hardwood floor, and Gray was already tired from it. He sweat dropped. Gray had never felt so weak in his entire life. It was heartbreaking for him.

Gray collapsed against the wall in the hallway and placed his head in his hands. Of all people, why did he have to become invisible? What made him invisible in the first place? It was stressful, and he took a deep breath.

Natsu and Erza were walking down the hallway. The dragon slayer was farther ahead from the scarlet haired woman, and Erza wore the smuggest look on her face. "Face the facts, Natsu. You do-" Natsu began to sing like an annoying toddler would if they didn't want to hear something. Erza didn't do anything, for she only tried to talk over him.

Gray watched Erza closely as she began to run her hands up and down her arms, shivering, while Natsu stood perfectly fine. "N-Natsu!"

"I bet you can't prove it!" Natsu sang aloud before running down the guild stairs. The two mages, besides Makarov, were the only people in the guild hall. They could basically get away with anything without getting made fun of.

"Yeah, I c-can!" Erza shouted back, her teeth now chattering. She moved closer to Natsu, and the two stood face to face at each other. The dragon slayer wore a frown, and Erza ran a hand through her long, red hair.

"Prove. It."

"You're constantly searching for him. You were always at his apartment when you needed more evidence. You swore to Juvia that you would bring him back no matter the costs. Shall I continue?"

Natsu shook his head and bit his lip. "I don't think that really supports your point." He turned on his heels and stormed away. The ice mage listened to the sound of the dragon slayer stomping down the stairs. Gray only sat against the wall, and his eyes landed on the sword mage as she clenched her fists. Erza looked down to the floor and smiled.

Both mages flinched when they heard the front doors to the guild hall slam shut, as well as the loud roar that came from outside. Gray shook his head. But he couldn't believe what he had just heard. Natsu cares for him? Was he denying it? Or . . . what?

Erza shivered once more before closing her eyes and sighing. "Don't worry, Natsu . . ." She walked away. Gray blinked a few times. He didn't follow anyone, though. He remained peacefully in his spot.

He thought about their argument.