5. Snap out of it

They were arguing again.

Most of the time, when Steve and Tony got into a fight, Peter would just curl up in his soundproof room and wait. But this time, they were too close. This time, they were too loud.

"This wouldn't have happened if you had even considered thinking about more than just yourself, you arrogant," "Arrogant?" "conceited," "Conceited?" "narcissistic a**hole!" "So I'm the egotistical one here? Not the one who decided that the structured plan everyone agreed upon wasn't good enough to play by? Not the one who suddenly thinks he knows the best for everyone? Sorry for actually trying to get an upper hand against the attackers."

Peter winced against the yelling. He really couldn't step in, they make him go back to his room before starting up again. He hated when they argued; not just because they were arguing, but because they meant the words they would say, and refused to apologize.

"It's not about getting the upper hand. It's about fighting with the team." "Oh Captain, my Captain; you're one to talk about team playing. If I were half as hypocritical as you, I would've gone into a career in politics."

"And if I had half your arrogance, I'm sure I would've—" "What? Would've what? Stormed off out of regulation meetings? Refuse to sign something that admits you've made mistakes and should take responsibility for your actions without reading it through DESPITE the fact that I have fought TOOTH and NAIL to create changes that limit your repercussions just to satisfy your highness even though I have no reason to except to actually give Earth a chance to defend itself? Go into hiding after one the biggest lies you kept was exposed and you couldn't. Even. Apologize? Is that what you would do?"

"Tony—" "No, you know what princess? I'm done." With that said, Peter heard the sound of quieting footsteps, and it was clear the battlefield was abandoned.

The teen slowly stepped out, quietly walking towards the lab. He stepped down and caught Tony mid-monologue.

"I cannot believe the nerve of that guy. He's expecting ME to apologize?! Jesus, I don't know why I try sometimes." "...Mr. Stark?", Peter asked quietly, stepping into the room.

"No, I do know why I try. Because I'm always to kissing a** to shut my conscious up. You happy now, buddy?" "Mr. Stark?", he asked louder, moving away from the door.

"Of course not. It's never satisfied." "Tony?"

"...Maybe Steve's right. I really am egotistical." "Tony?", Peter asked. At this volume, a normal person would've heard him by now. But Tony was drifting.

"Yeah, sounds about right. America's Golden Boy, right as always. ...That's why Howard liked him more than me.", Tony muttered, staring at the original Iron Man suit.

"Dad?", Peter asked finally. His voice was quiet and fragile. The man turned around, before finally realizing the teen was standing there. "...Hey bud. How long have you been standing there?", Tony greeted. Rather than give a response, Peter slowly walked towards the man and wrapped his arms in a hug.

Tony sighed, taking it as his answer. After a moments hesitation, he returned the hug.

The two quietly sighed, taking in the moment.