Chapter 3 Adrien Refuses to Talk?

It has been four days since the dance, and Adrien is quiet.  He does not say a word to anyone.  Not even so much as a hello!  He just sits there in silence.  He writes down notes for the quiz the teacher says is about to come up.  

      After class dismisses for the day, Miss Bustier, ask for Adrien to have a parent-teacher conference with her.  She does this out of concern for him. She can not seem to figure out what it is that troubles Adrien so much!  Why he is one of her best students, yet he seems more down than usual!

       Adrien's father is too busy to come to the meeting.  He sends Natalie to it instead.  Natalie listens closely as the teacher explains how she can not seem to figure out why Adrien will not talk anymore.  She even points out how she called on Adrien in class to answer a question, and he still did not speak. Not to even answer the question.   

    "So, you see Miss Sancouer!  This is so unlike him!"  Miss Bustier says.

   "Hmm, this is rather strange indeed."  Natalie agrees.

    "Is there some way you can get to the root of the problem?" 

    "I can not guarantee anything, but I will certainly try!" Natalie tells her.

   "Thanks so much, Miss Sancouer!  You and Adrien may leave now." Miss Bustier says.

      Natalie smiles as she sees Adrien stand up with his backpack.  They leave.

       Miss Bustier sits there and shakes her head. She thinks, oh, I do wish his father would pay more attention to him!  Poor, Adrien he has few friends.  What am I to do?  I mean, it is not like I can make him talk if he does not want to.

     Natalie and Adrien, arrive at the Agreste mansion soon.  The Gorilla, both Adrien's chauffeur, and bodyguard parks the car.  Natalie and Adrien go inside. 

      Adrien goes to his room.  He gets out his homework.  He finishes it early.  He sits down on the edge of his bed.  He cries.

      When Natalie tells  Adrien it is time for supper, he does not respond.  He just leaves his room.  He sits down at the table and eats alone as usual.  He wishes his mother were here because then he would not have to eat alone.  He finishes all his food.  He goes back to his room where he is left alone with his thoughts.

     Meanwhile, Marinette who has been home from school long before Adrien has to his, does her homework, greets her parents with short answers to how school went and eats her supper.  After supper, she challenges her father to a game of chess. She figures checkers is too lame for her.  She likes chess better.  It is a bit of a challenge to her father who tends to forget how to move the pieces.  She enjoys it so much she does not even think about how peculiar Adrien was in class today.

     Marinette wins the game!  "Wow, you are really good at this!"  Her father Tom exclaims!

      "Thanks, dad! "  Marinette says.

    "I might not be good at it, but it was still a pleasure to play it with you!"  Tom says.

     "Marinette, how is Adrien lately?"  Sabine ask.

     "Mom, what makes you ask about him?  He is just another typical guy in my class."  Marinette scoffs.

     "Marinette, that is no way to talk to your mother, young lady!"  Tom corrects her.

    "I only ask because I know this time of year is especially hard on him, since it was on Valentine's Day a few years ago, that he found out his mother died," Sabine says.

   "What?  His mother died?"  Marinette gasps.

    "Yes, it was in the papers and everything.  Why I am surprised you did not know!"  Sabine responds.

   "Oh, dear!  This explains why he was so usually quiet today in class.  Miss Bustier calls on him in history class and instead of an answer, he just sat there without a word."  Marinette adds.

    "Oh, this is worse than I thought!  The poor dear must be having a harder time on the anniversary of his mother's death than I thought." Sabine says.

     "It sounds like it,"  Tom says.

     "I feel so bad.  I have not been too kind to him, I am afraid."  Marinette says with a bit of remorse in her voice.

     "I will be right back, mother!"  Marinette shouts.  She grabs up her jacket, puts it on, and leaves the house. 

    Tom and Sabine Dupain-Cheng wonder where Marinette rushes off to in such a hurry!  It is not like she told them where she plans to go!  They hope that maybe she goes to speak to Adrien Agreste.

     Marinette arrives all out of breath at the Agreste place. She rings the doorbell and a gruff, man answers it.  She enters the place. 

 A lady, who must be Natalie, leads her towards the door to a room that is closed.  "I hope you can get him to speak, well good luck!"  Natalie says. She walks off.

    Marinette knocks on the door to Adrien's room.  She gets no answer.  She tries the doorknob and it opens. She enters the room and sits next to Adrien.  She sees his tears. She feels sorry for him now that she understands what bothers him.  Marinette does not say anything. She just sits there and hugs him.  Adrien hugs her back. He does not bother to look up to see who it is or anything.  

   Eventually, Adrien dries his tears and looks up at Marinette.  He frowns. He thinks, it is that rude, bluenette from school, the one who humiliates me at the dance days ago, the one who could care less how sad I am, so why is she here anyway?  He does not say a word. He just glares at her.  

     "Adrien, I came to apologize!  I am sorry for how awful I was to you at the dance days ago.  I am sorry for not being a friend to you when it needed it most.  I am really am sorry, Adrien!  I will be there for you if you ever need someone to talk to!  Got it?"  Marinette apologizes to him.

     Adrien nods his head.  He still does not speak.  Not just yet.  He still refuses to talk.

        Marinette gets up and leaves.  Adrien waves bye to her!  She smiles and waves back to him.  She thinks, well at least he is polite enough to wave back!  She can only hope he will forgive her for her awful behavior towards him in the past.  She goes back home before her parents can call her and ask where she has wandered off to.

       to be continued in Chapter 3. 2 Miniature Date

The chapter was published on  January or February 9, 2019, and the edits were made to the chapter on February 5, 2021.