Chapter 36: Stealth Game

Ike's POV

The Evanescas finally arrived at the school that afternoon. Professor Evanesca even conjured her trademark Evanesca Shield around the school to provide additional security. Professor Elena also told us that her sister will talk to us right after she's done talking to Alethea.

"I wonder what they're talking about, though," I said as RB and I walked towards the Emerald Building. Both of us are currently looking up at the headmistress' shield in awe and admiration. "That barrier is really awesome, too."

"Dunno. I haven't seen Alethea in years. She told me that she has been laying low for quite some time now that's why she rarely goes out of her residence. She didn't even tell me where she lives now. It's just a bit strange that Professor Evanesca suddenly wanted to talk to her," RB replied.

"Ikaw kasi, kung ano-ano na lang ang ginagawa mo," sabad ko naman. "You should've seen yourself earlier when you touched the Freak Weirdo. Everyone thought that you're going to... well, die. I think that was the first time that I've seen Professor Evanesca that worried."

A wide grin curved across RB's face. "Did that make Ike realize how much he loves me? Did you have a sudden flashback about all our intimate moments especially in bed—"

Isang hampas sa batok ang isinagot ko sa kanya. "Ikaw na nga 'tong muntik nang mamatay, ikaw pa 'tong nagloloko. Jeez. Couldn't you be serious even for a moment?"

RB gave me an expressionless face.

"On second thoughts, 'wag na. Naaalala ko lang 'yung pagmumukha mo nung first-year pa tayo," sabi ko.

"See? I look so much prettier when I'm smiling," RB replied while rubbing his cheeks. "Dang it. I'm so beautiful, it's irritating."

"You're not, so shut up," I snapped at him.

We were expecting that Alethea would also be in the headmistress' office when we get there, but to our surprise, she was already gone when we arrived at the office. The only person there was Professor Evanesca who was gazing over the horizon when RB and I materialized in her office.

"Good afternoon, dear boys," the headmistress said, turning around to greet us with her usual warm smile.

"Where's Alethea?" RB asked as we sat in the chairs in front of the headmistress' desk.

"She's just resting in the Emerald Guest House. She will be joining us later this evening for a dinner," the headmistress replied.

"What did she do here? It's been years since I last saw her," RB asked.

"Kinausap ko lang siya sa pag-asang baka may alam siya kung saan posibleng nagtatago si Jaeron," sagot ni Professor Evanesca.

"Speaking of Jaeron, what exactly happened in the park yesterday, professor?" I asked, leaning forward in my chair.

The headmistress turned around to look at the horizon where the sun is fast sinking. "The Legion of Death was indeed responsible for all the attacks that happened throughout the country yesterday. The exact same thing happened to all 8 attacked locations: Villains infected some civilians and warded off the agents long enough to give time for the Freak Weirdo to finish its inactive period. Then, just before the Freak Weirdo exploded, they all disappeared in an instant. It's an attack aimed to cause destruction and death especially to the agents who responded to the attack. You two have to be really thankful that you're still alive especially after what happened to the two of you."

A troubled expression ran across RB's face. "Does that mean—"

She nodded grimly. "Yes. They must've found a way to harness and contain the destructive powers of a Freak Weirdo. It's troubling and alarming that's why the Tactical Operations Group is doing their best to track down Jaeron and his cronies. Even Ezekiel already agreed to help the NMLEA to solve the problem."