Her Choice

Everyone flinched and Jimmy sat shocked on the ground, as his ears rang. Muffled voices yelled out and suddenly he was surrounded by his family and riders. Briefly he saw Bailey turn tail and run towards the barn.

"Jimmy!" They were yelling but he could hardly hear them.

"Where is he hit?" Lou asked, looking on his shoulders first. However, Emma was the first to notice the whole in his coat.

"Here!" She yelled.

That was when the shock wore off and Jimmy shook them all off, realizing he wasn't in unbearable pain. Just a dull ache.

He looked down at his coat reached into his pocket, pulling out the golden compass that now had a very large dent in it. He stood up slowly with the help of the other riders.

"She shot you!" Cody said in amazement.

Jimmy didn't have time to think and only raced towards the barn, only for Tiger to come racing out of it with a rider on his back.

"I'm sorry!" she called to him as she raced by, leaving a cloud of dust in her trail.

Once she was disappearing into the distance, he looked back at the other riders. He sighed, looking down at the dented compass. She had used the small gun to fire instead of the colt and for that he was grateful.

He shook his head humorlessly. "Well, now you've met the Bailey River. Hope she didn't disappoint you, like she did me."

"Jimmy-" Sam started.

"No, Sam. It's alright. Just let her go. She made her choice." he spat, the hate in his words evident to all. "She doesn't want to be here with me, that's damn fine."

He could still hear the whisper of her sorrow filled voice, echoing in his brain and he knew it would forever haunt him.

Jimmy felt something in his pocket as he went to return the compass. He pulled it out and realized she had slipped it into his pocket. It was a picture of the two of them, when they were younger and Jimmy remembered exactly how much trouble she went through to get that picture taken.

He shook his head and scoffed throwing it to the dirt, but he couldn't help but feel like his heart had just rode off into the distance and left him behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I shouldn't have shot him." She repeated over and over, "He's going to be so pissed."

Tiger and Bailey had made it a few miles at top speed and were nearing a town that was not Sweetwater. "We just got to keep moving."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the next day when Jimmy found the motivation to sit up and do work. His heart ached relentlessly and the riders would only send him pitiful glances. Finally, the day was coming to a close when a rider was nearing the main house.

"Whose that?" Cody asked, hoping it was Bailey but sadly mistaken.

It was a large man with an ugly scowl painted on to his face. "I'm looking for a Hickok, boy. Now you're going to tell me where he is."

Cody yelped when he pulled a gun on him and turned to yell. "Jimmy! There's a guy who wants to talk to you!" he called to the main house where they were all eating dinner.

He saw Jimmy exit the building with the rest of the riders right behind him.

"Mr. River." Jimmy acknowledged pulling his gun out, "I'd appreciate if you let my friend there go."

The man snarled, before motioning for Cody to leave. "Where's my girl at, Hickok?"

Jimmy sent a confused look his way. "Bailey? Ain't seen her since you shot me in the back."

Mr. River scoffed. "I know she couldn't resist coming to you. That's all she used to say, boy. "Jimmy, is coming for me. Jimmy, will save me." But you never came, did ya? Now you expect me to believe she didn't even stop in to say hello?"

"Then there's your answer right there! She's probably upset I didn't come and ran off with someone else."

Mr. River contemplated this. "Guess your right. For once. Let me know if you see her."

"Go to Hell." Jimmy responded and Mr. River turned to ride off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a few days later when Bailey stopped to stay at a motel after the last two towns she passed were full.

"Can I get a room?" She asked, but was quickly turned around by a strong hand on her shoulder.

"Father."

"Good to see you too. Told you I'd catch up." he grabbed her by the scruff of her collar and dragged her down the street. "We're getting you back in your cell."