Chapter Two

"Who's Justin?" Jeremiah questioned, searching through my phone. His phone is always out off battery somehow, so he goes through mine.

"New coworker. He started last week." I pulled my phone out of his hands and turned it off. "I thought you had an important call to make, why are you snooping through my contacts?"

He smirked and suddenly stood up, walking towards his apartment's kitchen. A few minutes later,  he came back with a bucket of our favorite ice cream, butter pecan.

My eyes widened and so did my smile. I put on my best kid voice, "My best-est friend in the whole wide world, would you be a doll and give me some ice cream?" I pouted.

He gave me a skeptical look, but I watched as his eyes softened as he gazed my way. Jeremiah sighed and tossed me the bucket of ice cream. I sent him my prettiest smile.

"You're too spoiled for your own good, El," he mumbled. I watched his retreating figure to get the spoons and sighed. He really is a catch, he'll do anything for people he loves. Teri is a real lucky girl.

My phone buzzed with a call, reading the name Teri.

Hm, speak of the devil.

I answered the phone with, "Jeremiah?" I heard a light giggle on the other end. "You know me so well, El. Anyway is he with you? His phone's dead," replied the voice of Jeremiah's girlfriend, Teri Pickett. 

Jeremiah walked into the room and plucked the phone out of my hands, answering to Teri's call. He then walked out of the room, leaving the ice cream spoons in my hand.

--

Teri has always been a gorgeous and kind girl to everyone. And because of that caring nature she has, we've grown into great friends - though I like her boyfriend. She has a baby-like face, striking platinum hair, and a body of an angel.

Every girl Jeremiah has dated, has always been jealous of our relationship - as best friends - and has threatened either one of us because of it. So, they never last long. When he met Teri and introduced her to me, she was the only girl whoever got to know me and didn't seem jealous at all.

--

I walked upstairs, away from their conversation and into the bathroom. I looked into the mirror and stared at myself.

My hand grazed over my forest green eyes and admired them. I got these jewels from my mother when I was born.

My hand went lower to nose, where few small freckles could be seen. I inherited these from my grandfather.

I grabbed a piece of my chocolate  brown hair that stopped at the middle of my back. I put it in semi waves today.

I looked down to my body, which wasn't perfect but still, I believe I have a nice figure.

I gazed at the entire picture of myself, taking up every aspect of the person I  call myself. I came to the conclusion, that it'll never happen. He'll never love me the way he loves her, and I'll always be just the best friend.

"Ariela! This guy named Justin's calling you!" I heard from downstairs. My pitiful trance snapped back at the mention of Justin's name. Especially when we still weren't the friendliest coworkers just yet. We exchanged phone numbers since we became 'friends' that night at the pancake house, and have been working 'well' every work day  since.

I ran from the bathroom and saw Jeremiah talking on the phone - with Justin. "Who're you?" Jeremiah snapped. I almost laughed at the venom practically dripping from his mouth. I heard small mumbling from the other side of the phone, but I only caught the words "friend" and "pancakes."

I felt heat creep up my neck, flustered at the way Jeremiah actually seemed jealous for me. I groaned - under my breath - and pushed the thought away, after realizing it was the jealousy of a big brother.

Walking into the room where Jeremiah sat on the rug with my phone in his hands, I acted like I totally wasn't eavesdropping.

Jeremiah pulled the phone away from his ear and covered the mic with his hand. "Who the fuck is this?" he snapped at me.

I rolled my eyes, "I already told you, Jere. New coworker equals new friend." He didn't look too pleased but I overlooked it and grabbed the phone, putting it to my own ear.

"Was sup Justin?" I smiled into the phone. In my peripheral, I see an unamused Jeremiah.

"Ariela finally! What time is work today?" said his voice through the speaker.

"I texted you the schedule,  but okay. 6:00pm tonight."

I heard him take a small breath, " 'Kay, see you later then?" I nodded, though he couldn't see me.

"Yea," I  mumbled, then hung up. I turned to look at a pissed off Jeremiah, his face bright red with anger. A small smirk set my face as I looked at my jealous best friend. Though it was probably  brotherly love jealous, I still had waves of satisfaction flowing through me.

I sauntered off with the feel of lasers burning holes into my back, swaying my hips a little bit - just a tiny bit.

With a messy braided bun and my favorite pastel yellow shirt I brought from home, I slipped on my maroon VANS and looked around Jeremiah's apartment for him.

Once I couldn't find him in the bedrooms and living room, I checked the kitchen. On the granite counter top, there was a note.

It read:

' Went out with Teri.

Find another ride.

Lock the door. '

- Jere

Anger made its way into my blood stream as my cheeks started to heat up. I scoffed in frustration at the fact he left me to my own. I threw the note away and another feeling crept up my neck.

Jealousy.

He never left me by myself, he always gave me a ride to work, I don't get the sudden change in attitude. I sighed, calming myself down. I stomped into the living room and picked up my phone from the sofa.

I dialed the first person on the recent list and put it up to my ear. It rang four times before I heard a small, "Ello?" on the other line.

"Justin, can you give me a ride to work? I just got ditched," I explained. I heard shuffling on the other line and a loud 'thump' for a couple minutes until I heard his voice again.

"Sure. Text me the address and I'll come get you," he confirmed, then hung up.

After I shot him the address, I grabbed my bag and waited outside.  I browsed through my feeds  and saw a picture of Jeremiah kissing Teri's cheek. I scowled at the sight of Jeremiah but gave it a small smile in the end, since they looked so happy.

A mid-sized black civic car pulled up into the apartment parking lot. A black haired man in a collared navy blue shirt that stopped mid arm and a pair of light blue jeans walked out of the car, looking around. 

His gorgeous hazel eyes found my green ones and he smiled.

When I finally recognized Justin's face, I walked over and greeted him with a simple, "Hey." 

His eyes, which I admired, gazed slightly down had a glimmer in them. When I  realized I was staring, I got flustered and looked away. He chuckled softly and said, "Let's go, shall we?" 

(UPDATE SCHEDULE CHANGE: EVERY WEDNESDAY)