eight;

Olivia's POV

I hear the faint sound of birds cooing as I let my eyes slowly adjust to the soft light coming through the curtains.

It takes me a while to realise where I am before I remember. Miss Lovato's house - or Demi, as she told me yesterday to call her outside of school.

Staying at someone else's house is strange even if you take out the whole teacher part. So you'd expect me to feel a little awkward or even anxious.. except I don't. Honestly, if I could, I'd act the same with Demi as I do with Charlie. Which is weird because normally it takes me some time to get comfortable with someone.

Did I just say comfortable like she was someone I was trying to get with? Wow, that hit I took yesterday must have really done a number on my brain.

Stretching out and pulling the covers off me, I rub my face and cringe a little when my fingers run over my bruised eye. What a mess yesterday was.

After taking a look at the clock next to the bed, I inhale sharply when I realise the time. 10:55am, yikes. Why does it always have to be me that's late? Can I not wake up in time for just one day?

I notice a folded up piece of paper that was wedged under the door. Making my way to it, I pick it up and open it.

'Good morning Liv, I came in earlier to check on you and you looked too peaceful for me to wake you up. Plus I think it would be best for you to take a day off and rest a little. I'm off to work but please help yourself to anything in the house. If anything happens or you need anything just call me..'

Her number was scribbled down on the bottom of the page along with a cute little smiley face.

My stomach flutters and I can't help but mimic the drawing of the smiley face myself. There was more caring and empathy in that note alone than either of my parents have ever showed me.

With the smile still on my face, I place the letter on the bedside table and pick my phone up.

After what happened yesterday I think it's best I ring Charlie just to check in and see if she's doing okay.

"Olivia" I hear her pick up the phone.

"Hey Charlie, are you at school today," I hope she isn't. Mainly because I know there's bound to be a shit load of petty gossip and I don't want her hearing it. Also because I want to hang out today and explain everything a little bit more.

"Nah, my mom doesn't want me going until everything's calmed down a little. I'm guessing you're not there either?"

"You've guessed correctly my friend, meet at my house."

A small chuckle comes from her end before she begins talking again. "Okay, I'll see you in an hour."

After saying goodbye we hang up the call and I grab my stuff from next to the bed.

It's better to hang out at my place seeing as it's close and I definitely don't want to intrude anymore with Demi by having one of my friends at her house without her knowing.

Hopping in the shower attached to the bedroom, I decided to wash away any negative feelings I was having. That sounds cheesy, and normally never works, but this time it did. As I was getting dressed I took the time to look at myself in the mirror, aside from the bruising on my left eye that had now spread slightly to my cheek, I look better.

As I close the bedroom door behind me I realise that Demi's door is open on the other side of the walkway. I wonder what it looks like.

No, I can't do that - it's immoral. I wouldn't want her looking in my room. Well actually I wouldn't mind. Fuck it I'll only peek for a second.