9. What is wrong with the St Claire's?

What is wrong with the St Claire's?

THE RIDE TO THE HOUSE WAS VERY QUIET. A knife could cut the tension between me and Aaron. I was constantly checking my phone, the tiled road, the clouds now hiding the sun, the forests we drove past, the cafe, the....

The day was gradually coming to an end, and my nerves were all over the place, made worse by the blasting Air conditioner in the car, which chilled me to the bones, but I would rather die from cold than ask the sick man near me to turn it off, and that was no exaggeration. He purposely put the AC to the highest just to make me uncomfortable.

What is his problem? Is he just a possessive employee, or is he in love with Julian? Do they share a secret?

The gate to the estate was opened by two security men in black suits, both Caucasian. As Julian had said, his house was really at the heart of New Everest. Aaron drives into the first house in the estate and packs by the huge water fountain in the middle of the compound.

"We are here now, Nanny." He spat.

He said nanny like a slur word, which was stupid because he's a driver.

"Thank you, driver." I shot back with a smile I knew he hated. I was not about to play the bigger person.

He eyed me angrily before opening the driver's door. In a second, he came around the car and opened the passenger door to let me out. I exited the Jaguar with as much grace as possible, considering my eagerness to leave Aaron's prescience.

"So you know the boss will not believe you if you tell him anything. So desist from making yourself look like a joke." Aaron warned, moving to the trunk. "He just met you. He already trusts me."

"I'm not fighting with you over Julian." I eyed him and hissed. "You think I am going to tell him anything without proof? What do you take me for?" He didn't respond.

"You are too unstable to be near a child like Samantha."

"How about you mind your business." He shot back.

He took my box from the trunk and led me inside.

Even though I wanted to admire the compound more, I wanted to leave his prescience as soon as possible.

"Wait here. The boss will see you soon. Don't go moving around." He said, then disappeared through the hallway at the right with my box.

Julian's house was all concrete walls and tall glass windows. It was grand, with intricate designs, high ceilings, and a sense of modern flow, which must be the work of one of the best architects in the city—all-white bliss. I wanted to step on the white Persian rug that reminded me of the one my family used to have in our vacation house when we were little. For nostalgia.

I was born privileged, so although I was impressed by the house, I wasn't wowed. What surprised me was the beautiful frames of Holland on the wall. She was laughing in all of them, wearing a princess gown and a tiara. There were a few of Julian's pictures, too, and a few pictures of Julian and Holland together. Was he a single dad, a divorcee, or was his wife dead? I had no idea.

This house is devoid of a woman's touch. It needs your touch, Samantha.

The grand piano by the wide spiral stairs caught my attention, and I walked to it, trailing my hands on the keys. Though I didn't know how to play, I've always wanted to be with a man who knew how to and could teach me.

Does Julian play? Will he play me like the piano? That would be so sexy.

"Teacher Samantha." Holland squealed. I looked up to see her running down the stairs with Julian right behind her.

He's so hot!

Focus on Holland.

"Holland baby, don't fall. Be careful." I said, moving to the foot of the stairs. I opened my arms, and she happily ran into them. I giggled and threw her up, catching her as she reached my shoulder level. "Look who's excited to see me. Did you miss me?" I laughed, dropping her down. I started panting immediately. She was getting heavier, and it was becoming difficult to throw her up and catch her like I just did.

She nodded and hugged me tighter.

"Good morning." Julian greeted, his voice echoing in the vast space. His smile was so seductive it tugged at my heart. He looked breathtaking, standing on the stairs looking all yummy. It was the first time I saw him wear something casual, and he looked good in black jeans and a polo.

"Morning," I raised my voice so he could hear me from up the stairs. He nodded, smiling as he climbed down.

"She was so excited when she heard your voice. I couldn't stop her." He said when he got to the foot of the stairs.

Julian smelt so good and expensive. So dark and compelling.

"Your bag has been arranged in the guest room," Aaron informed me, coming out of the hallway he had disappeared into.

Immediately, Holland saw him; she held my hands tighter. I unconsciously did, too.

Something was wrong with Aaron, and I wasn't just being a hater. There was just something about him that made me uncomfortable. Everything about him made me uncomfortable.

Julian knelt and opened his arms. "Baby, come." He called her. She didn't move. She held me tighter, her hands shaking. Julian looked hurt as he stood up. He forced a smile, but I knew Holland's rejection deeply hurt him.

"Go to your Dad, baby," I said, pulling her cheeks. She nodded and ran off to meet him with her tiny legs and flowery green gown flowing in the air.

There was something wrong with the ST Claire's, and it's just not about Aaron messing with my head.

Aaron moved closer to me as though I summoned him with my thoughts. "I see the way you look at him." He whispered in my ear. "This is your last chance to leave. Don't say you were not warned, Nanny Samantha."