10. It's going to be a long night

Aaron is the one writing those letters to me. I have no proof of this yet, but I'll find it. He's the one.

The best thing for me to do now is to ignore him till I find proof, and I will.

"Your house is beautiful, Mr. Julian. Can you please show me around?" I cooed.

Aaron got the message and moved away from me.

"Of course," Julian replied, lifting Holland to his hips. He held her in place with one hand and stretched the other. I took it without hesitation.

"Aaron, please make double sure Samantha's room is clean. As the cleaners to go through it again."

"Yes, boss," Aaron muttered, frowning. He scowled at me, and I glared right back.

I exhaled, relief rushing through me when Aaron finally walked away. I didn't even know that I was holding my breath.

"Samantha, you look worried. Aaron will make sure your room is well-cleaned. He does his job perfectly."

"I see." was all I could bring myself to say. It was obvious that Julian trusted Aaron. I wanted to beg him to evaluate his trust in Aaron, but I said nothing.

"You like him, don't yo?" Julian suddenly asked as we made our way outside.

"So, do you have a library?" I replied, evading the question. I couldn't say yes cause that would be an outright lie, and it would churn my stomach till I threw up, and I couldn't say no because I didn't want to be the woman who starts hating on people when she hasn't even entered the house.

"I'm not much of a reader, but I have one."

"I want to see it."

"Let's go up then. It's in my office."

We reversed back to the stairs, with him holding my hand tightly. My palm started getting very sweaty from being in his.

God! This is so embarrassing. I'm sure he's noticed how sweaty my palms are. Is he uncomfortable?

Anxiety chilled my blood. My heart was beating faster. It felt like it would tear away from my chest.

When we got upstairs, the first door in the long hallway was his office. He gently dropped Holland down on the ground and opened it.

"Ladies first." He smirked, holding out the door.

I smiled and walked in. I whirled around just in time to catch him smiling at me. It made me feel many kinds of emotions, feelings I could not place.

The office was so beautiful the same wine-Persian rug in his parlor trailed the entire house. It was painted white with black furniture adorning it.

He had a book shelving on both sides of the wall with a glass table and chair in front; more books rested on his table. The air conditioner was on, but there was still some warmness in his office that made me want to spray a blanket on the floor and have a picnic.

Holland rushed to me and hugged my legs. A flash of anger passed through Julian's eyes, but it immediately disappeared. I didn't think much of it. Even if he was angry, he had a right to be, considering how much Holland loved me. I didn't know anything about her mother, and I was really curious about it.

"So, your wife?" I blurted out.

Julian's face paled instantly, but he quickly regained his composure. I pressed my lips together, ashamed of my inability to shut my mouth.

Samantha, you will drive him away!

"What about my wife?" He asked, taking Holland's hand.

Aaron walked in. "Holland, go with Aaron. Samantha and I want to have a chat. Okay?" He said to her, nodding at Aaron with controlled ease.

Holland started to sniff and hold me tighter. Her small legs were practically wrapped around my left leg. She was holding my hand like it was her favourite toy.

"Let her stay with me, please," I begged. The desire to speak up for my princess defeated my desire to be in Julian's good books.

I blinked in a way I thought was sweet and capable of softening his heart. I wanted to add that Holland did not want to go anywhere with Aaron, but I refrained from doing so. I was only getting here after all, and I didn't know yet my left from right.

But I still knew nervousness when I saw one, and Holland was anxious.

"Boss, you both need to talk. Besides, Holland hasn't eaten this evening. She needs to eat and go to bed." Aaron interjected. Our eyes met, and he smirked at me.

"I can feed her." I offered, nervously biting my lips.

"No!" Julian suddenly shouted, causing my heart to stop. I stared at him wide-eyed, and he quickly appeared regretful for raising his voice. "Aaron always feeds her at night. I wouldn't like to start changing her routine suddenly. Besides, you need to settle in and get used to us. You are her teacher, not her mother. Holland, go with him now!" He instructed, facing Holland. I looked down to see that her eyes were closed shut tightly. She was shaking, but her hold on me had become weaker.

"Holland now!" He shouted. She jerked away from me and started to cry. "Teacher Samantha."

Aaron decided then to step in and carry her away. She didn't struggle, but her tears didn't stop. I wanted to cry too, to take her away from that monster's hand and never return her, but then I could do nothing.

She was not my child, and no matter how I wished she was, she wasn't.

Maybe I should report to child protection services. But what am I reporting exactly?

Jacob closed the door after him, but that was after he smirked triumphantly. I scowled at him.

When he was gone, Julian returned to this sweet person I had known him as, and although I still felt uncomfortable and suspicious, especially now Holland was with Aaron, I just had to relax and trust him. No father would want to harm his child. I just had to believe it, to believe that no father could wish to harm his child. I had to hold on to the hope that I was right. Even though I knew some fathers were not good, I just hoped that Julian wasn't one of them.

He couldn't be; he was so sweet and loving I doubted he had any evil in him. I just had to trust him and stop being paranoid.

He held my waist lightly, leading me to the couch. "Sit." He said to me, and I obeyed. The room was quiet but not tense; we were both distracted by our thoughts.

Julian sat close to me and put a hand on my legs, sending electricity through my body. "Relax, Samantha. It's going to be a long night."