Coexist

Geoff knows that Kellin makes Awsten uncomfortable, and he knows why.

Alex was right- Kellin is a bit of an asshole.

Not in the way that the things he does are malicious, but he just doesn't give anyone a break. Geoff, Otto, and Awsten have all put their lives on the back burner for this, and so have Kellin and Travis. They may all be there for different reasons, some because it's their job, and some for their own safety, but they're all here nonetheless- they should at least try to get along. The raven-haired boy keeping such a tight leash on the other members of the safehouse is starting to get annoying.

"Coexistence is the key. You gotta find common ground instead of no-man's land," Patty advises. His voice crackles slightly. The flip-phone Geoff has pressed to his ear is not exactly high quality.

Kellin confiscated their phones and Travis provided them with twenty-dollar flip phones.

"I know, but the only reason they talk to us is because they have to. Their attitudes, especially Kellin's, are making Awsten nervous," the brunet whispers his complaints into the cell phone.

"Geoff, don't you think that the entire situation as a whole is what's making Awsten nervous?"

Oh.

"Okay, you're right. I'll try to be more mindful of that," Geoff says, and glances at the bedroom door as he hears someone begin to open it.

Awsten opens the door and shuts it behind himself, leaning back against it. He sends Geoff a loving but tired look.

"Just remember- they aren't there to be your friends, Geoff. They're there because it's their job."

"I know, Patty. Don't worry, I'm not gonna hound 'em about anything. Any news from Jack and Alex?"

Awsten's expression turns slightly curious. They've been here a week and so far there hasn't been any news from the two field agents disguised as gang members.

"Nothing yet. Rian says they're fine, though. They're still on black out protocol."

Geoff nods, then remembers that Patty can't see him. "Gotcha, okay. Well, I'll leave you to it."

"Bye, Geoff."

"Bye."

The brunet hangs up the phone and sets it on the bed next to himself.

"News?" Awsten asks, and begins to cross the room.

Geoff shakes his head. "Jack and Alex are still blacked out."

Awsten stops in front of Geoff and quirks an eyebrow. "Blacked out?"

"It means they can't have any contact with the team or anyone else that might blow their cover if they get caught associating with them."

Awsten nods understandingly. "Are we blacked out right now?"

"Close, but I think 'in hiding' is a more fitting term. We're not undercover."

Awsten nods and glances out of the window, wondering what type of initiation things Jack and Alex are having to do to prove themselves to the gang right now. He returns his focus to Geoff and begins to move the flip phone aside to sit next to him, but the brunet stops him.

"What're you doing?" Geoff asks, something glinting in his eye.

"Uh, sitting next to you?" Awsten replies, hand frozen, but still outstretched to move the cell phone.

"But that's the burner cell's spot, you wouldn't just steal someone's seat, would you?" Geoff says, and Awsten realizes that the glint in Geoff's eyes is playful. He returns it, fighting off a smile.

"Well, if the burner phone were a person, I wouldn't, but it's not, so I think I will," Awsten says and begins to reach for the phone once more. If Geoff stops him again, he'll just sit on it.

"As that phone's caretaker, I have to implore you to reconsider your options here."

Awsten giggles a little, unable to keep it in.

"Fine, I'll reconsider it..." Awsten pretends to think about it for a moment. "Yeah, I'm sitting here," he decides.

"Just a moment!" Geoff says quickly, and Awsten stops again. "Consider other surfaces you can sit on; the other side of the bed, the floor, one of the kitchen chairs, my lap, the couch in the living room, the last step of the staircase, my lap, the wooden chest at the end of the bed, my lap-"

"Your lap?" Awsten asks, laughing again.

"Woah, that's a great choice!" Geoff praises jokingly, and begins to reach for Awsten.

"Hm, actually," Awsten begins, and Geoff stops reaching for him. "I think I'll take the floor."

"Wait-" Geoff says as Awsten begins to pretend to look for a comfy spot on the floor.

"No no, it's okay. Y'don't have to move your precious cell phone for me, I'll be fine right here."

"But I-"

"Say no more! I'll be perfectly comfortable down here," the purple-haired boy says and begins to sit down.

"Would you just sit on my lap, drama queen."

Awsten laughs and stands up fully again, then sits on Geoff's lap. He puts his forehead against the brunet's cheek and wraps his arms around his neck. Geoff puts his arms around Awsten and squeezes him.

"Better than the floor?"

"Much."

***

"So, I'm right? This is just a job to Travis and Kellin?" Awsten asks, and Geoff nods. They're laying down on the bed now, and Awsten's eyes droop more and more as each minute passes.

"But it's not the same for Alex and Patty?"

"Alex, Patty, and the rest of their team don't have a life outside of this. Travis has a home in Maryland that doesn't have a camera trained on every window. Kellin has a wife who thinks he's an accountant. Rian, Zack, Patty, Alex, Jack, and a few of their associates and friends live in this world full time. They don't get to have normal homes or spouses, and they're fine with that," Geoff explains.

Awsten nods. He likes the idea of this stuff being in a different world all together instead of infesting the normal world. Lives should never have to be uprooted like this. All the security protocols, guns, secrets, hidden away safehouses, and everything else the purple-haired boy has seen should be tucked away safely in another world- maybe in a different dimension almost exactly identical to the normal one, but with an added layer where all this stuff resides.

People like him, Geoff, Otto, Travis, and Kellin can switch between dimensions as they please or need to, while others stay in one at all times. Normal people stay in the normal dimension, and only hear rumours of the other, while people like Alex stay in the other dimension and thrive there. The other dimension isn't inherently bad, just very different- just like the lives Alex and his team lead. It takes a certain type of person with a certain amount of guts to live that life constantly.

Everything aside, these dimensions seem to coexist, and so do the people inside of them. Maybe this would be better off described as all one world, but a world with secret tunnels hidden inside of it.

Awsten drifts off to sleep thinking about the alternate dimension from Stranger Things.

...