Shot

A loud noise shatters through the quietness of the apartment.

Awsten squeezes his eyes shut. He can hear his heartbeat in his ears. His breathing is non-existent as he waits for the pain- it's gonna be bad, and he knows it.

Patty described it once. He'd been shot in the arm one time. He said it felt like a white-hot iron rod going straight through you. He said he felt it in his bones all throughout his body. He said his thoughts scattered and his mind automatically went into a state of both panic and denial.

Awsten doesn't feel any of that, but maybe Patty's experience isn't universal, or maybe the pain just hasn't set in yet.

Even though its only been a couple of seconds, The purple-haired boy feels like he's aged five years.

Another noise shatters the silence- a voice.

"Awsten!"

***

Geoff has never driven this fast in his life.

"Geoff- you're gonna flip the fucking van! Slow down!" Alex demands, holding onto Jack tightly as Patty presses a red-soaked rag to his wounded leg.

"We have confirmation that there's someone in the apartment with Awsten and you're telling me to slow down!?" Geoff yells.

"It might've been Awsten that we saw on the feed! Rian only caught a glimpse of the guy through the front door camera-" Patty begins, but Geoff interrupts him while taking a sharp turn.

"Why don't we have access to any of the cameras inside the apartment?"

"Because that specific camera is part of a normal home alarm system- the others aren't," Alex answers, trying to keep himself upright as the brunet suddenly speeds up.

The boys go quiet for a moment as Geoff flies down back roads, keen to avoid the traffic on the main roads.

Feeling antsy, Patty grabs his radio. "Rian, how are things? Give us an update."

"Jawn and his people found Remington and Emerson! The building is set to go up in three minutes. Zack and Remington are taking Emerson to the hospital, and I'm driving the RV back to the apartment. Kellin and Travis are right behind us in Kellin's SUV- we'll be there a couple of minutes after you guys get there."

"And the front door?" Patty asks, meeting Geoff's eyes in the rear-view mirror.

"Haven't seen anything else."

Alex grabs the radio, keeping his other arm securely around Jack. "Why is Emerson going to the hospital?"

"Him and Remington got pinned down just like you and Jack did- He got shot. The bullet's placement is non-fatal, but he's bleeding pretty bad. How's Jack?"

Alex looks at Jack, and Jacks nods. "He'll be okay. Listen- Geoff is driving like a madman. We're well ahead of you and you can't drive fast in the RV. We might need backup at the apartment... Kellin, do you copy?"

"I copy- Travis and I are listening."

"Get out from behind the RV and get to the apartment as quick as you can."

"Got it. We're on our way."

Geoff takes another sharp turn onto a main road before turning into a parking garage. He whips the van into a parking spot and Patty and Alex throw the side door open. They begin helping Jack out of the van as the brunet jumps out.

"Go Geoff! we're right behind you!" Alex urges.

Geoff runs. He bursts straight through any door in his way. He sprints straight past the elevator and begins ascending the stairs.

He's out of breath once he reaches the apartment door, but still determined. He walks through it, not caring to hide his entrance. The apartment is seemingly empty, but he knows it really isn't.

He hears someone heading for the stairs from the second floor and instantly ducks down behind the kitchen counter. He takes his gun out and peeks around the counter.

A man opens the front door carefully and scans the apartment building hallway, gun in hand. Just as he turns around, the coat closet door opens, and a terrified Awsten appears.

The purple-haired boy looks around the apartment, eyes going right over Geoff.

The brunet realizes what's about to happen, and prepares to do whatever he has to do to keep Awsten safe.

The man raises his gun and points it at Awsten just as the smaller boy turns to leave the apartment.

Awsten freezes. Geoff moves.

A shot rings out.

Geoff feels the kickback of his gun. He stands quickly just as the man stumbles backward and drops his own gun.

"Awsten!"

The purple-haired boy remains frozen, so Geoff quickly moves toward him.

The man slides down the wall next to the door just as Jack, Alex, and Patty burst into the apartment. Alex and Patty are on either side of Jack, supporting him with one arm. Their free hands have their guns ready. Patty lets Alex lead Jack over to the sofa while he begins checking the rest of the apartment. He swiftly kicks the man's gun away before he heads upstairs.

Geoff grabs Awsten's face just as Awsten's eyes open. Tears have soaked his face and they don't seem to be stopping.

"Are you hurt?" Geoff asks, looking Awsten over.

"N-no," Awsten sobs out before grabbing Geoff and burying his face in the brunet's chest.

"I've got you. You're okay. It's over now, I promise."

***

Within an hour, everything is running smoothly. Awsten's breathing has returned to normal and his crying has stopped, but Geoff continues to hold him.

The two are curled up on Alex's bed that the purple-haired boy has been borrowing. They had retreated upstairs as soon as Geoff had ensured that Awsten wasn't hurt. He wanted the smaller boy to be out of the madness.

"You should go make sure everything is okay downstairs," Awsten whispers, looking up at the brunet.

Neither of them had left the room, even once Kellin and Travis arrived.

"They're okay- they can handle it," Geoff responds.

Awsten smiles a little at him before tugging him into a sitting position. They look at each other for a moment before Awsten leans forward and captures the brunet's lips.

Geoff cups his face, rubbing his thumbs across Awsten's cheekbones. Its been so long since they've had a moment to just be.

When they break apart, Awsten takes Geoff's hand and pulls him off of the bed and toward the door. They go downstairs and find Patty and Rian sitting at the table.

"Update?" Geoff asks, holding Awsten close to himself.

Patty perks up. "Remington, Emerson, and Zack are still at the hospital- Em is gonna be just fine. Alex drove Jack to the hospital- he's gonna be okay too, but he may be benched for a little while. Travis and Kellin are scoping your house out and setting up some temporary security measures."

"And the gang?" Awsten asks carefully.

"A few of Jawn's guy's came and picked up all the gang members around here- there were a few at the top of the parking garage and one in here. The rest were taken out by the explosion. They're all gone."

A sense of relief settles into the apartment for the first time since Awsten arrived.

...