Chapter 5: The Play

3rd person P.O.V

Mr Prenderghast and Simon Ghasto walked into the study, Mr Prenderghast wheezing and panting while Simon was coughing violently.
"I'll show them, and that scary little fat kid..." Mr Prenderghast said as he rummaged around the study, looking for something.
"Don't they realise that we're running out of time?" He asked before grabbing a book from a shelf. "Ah! Found it! Now just to give it to Norman..."
"Wait, you're giving it to him? I thought we agreed on Isabelle." Simon said, crossing his arms.
"Uh, well...I changed my mind." Mr Prenderghast said, clutching the book closely to his chest.
"No, I'll take it to her, if you just give me the book..." Simon said, grabbing the book.

"Norman!"
"Isabelle!"
They both fought over the book, pulling it back and forth between the to.
"Nor-!" Mr Prenderghast said before croaking and falling down, taking a surprised Simon with him.
Simon let go of the book, shuffling back on his butt, clutching his chest. His doctor told him to try and not get surprised that often or he would get a heart attack.
"Prenderghast?" Simon asked, seeing Mr Prenderghast's spirit slowly rise up from the body before being pulled back in.
It was silent as Simon peered over the body before Mr Prenderghast's eyes flew open and heaved in a ragged breath, startling Simon so much that he had a heart attack.

Mr Prenderghast turned around to see Simon's spirit rise out of his body.
"No! Not yet! Not yet!" He cried, looking down at the book before giving a croak and falling onto his back, still clutching the book.
His spirit rised out of his body and floated there with Simon as they looked at both of their bodies.
"Aw nuts." He said, looking down to his body. "Am I really that fat?" He asked, looking up to Simon, pointing to his body.
"What? You didn't notice?" Simon replied, crossing his arms.

Isabelle's (P.O.V)

I sighed, it was the 'big night' of the performance, Issac came and even Jane and Arthur insisted on coming. I don't know why they came, I only had one rehearsal to work on the play and I was only reading off a scroll.
Anyway I snapped my attention to what was happening on stage to find my cue to start talking.
"I curse you accusers to die a horrible and gruesome death and rise from your graves as the living dead. Your souls doomed to an eternity of damnation!" Salma cried as other students surrounded her holding pitchforks.
"Kill the witch! Kill the witch!" They chanted as they menaced Salma with the pitchforks.
I discreetly rolled my eyes before an owl caught my eye.

I watched the owl fly around, not noticing the chant becoming slurred and seeing the air grew dark and thick. I blinked and found myself in a dark forest.
"Where am I?" I asked myself before hearing voices.
"Witch! We know you're out there!" Someone called from close by.
I stood there, frozen in fear, not knowing what to do before seeing someone turn their head my way.
"Over there!" They called to the others before running my direction.

As if my body was on autopilot, I turned away and ran as fast as I could through the forest, getting as far away from those people. I ran and ran and ran before feeling my foot trip on a tree root and fly through the air. As I was centimetres away from the ground I felt something grab me and haul me up quite a height, until I was face to face with a tree.
"The dead are coming!" It said to me before I closed my eyes and started screaming.

"AHHHHHHHHH!" I screamed before opening my eyes and shutting my mouth, though someone else was still screaming.
"The dead are coming!" Norman cried before running off stage and onto the floor underneath.
I picked myself up off the stage and looked at the small crowd.
"Norman!" I heard a woman cry.
"Did he say the dead are coming?" Mitch asked.

"No, no, no!" A man laughed nervously.
"Yes!" Norman and I yelled, nearly scaring everyone out of their wits.
"The tree told me!" Norman cried.
I stifled a giggle as I saw everyone look in Neil's direction, who looked to Norman before making eye contact to me and looking down to the ground.

~~~~Time skip to after the play~~~~

It was silent in the car as we drove home, Jane and Arthur were talking in whispers at the front while Issac and I sat silently in the back.
I leaned forwards to see what they were talking about.
"Y'know I think we should get her a psychologist or therapist, the behaviour is not normal!" Jane whispered to Arthur.
"Yeah but they are expensive." Arthur replied.
I huffed and sat back in my seat, flashing Issac an 'I-will-tell-you-later' look. They still don't believe me, they've believed in anything but ghosts.

Once we pulled into the driveway and got into our home, I stormed upstairs. Everything is fine with me! They just don't believe it. I threw my bag somewhere and flopped onto my bed, staring at the ceiling before Issac walked in.
"Trying to burn holes in the ceiling?" He asked.
"Hopefully." I mumbled.
I felt the weight of the bed shift as Issac sat down on it.
"What were they talking about?" He asked.
I lowered my eyes and sat up. "They're thinking of getting a psychologist or therapist to see me." I said.
"Really?"

"Really. But Issac, nothing's wrong with me! I'm fine, I just started seeing them after the accident!" I said helplessly as I felt tears forming in the corners of my eyes before breaking down.
"Sh, sh, shhhh." Issac said as he pulled me onto his lap and hugging me. "Nothing's wrong with you and you know that, Jane and Arthur may need a little bit of convincing." He said, slowly stroking my hair to calm me down.
Once I calmed down Issac pulled away from me.
"You must be tired, go to bed and I'll talk to Jane and Arthur." He said, getting up.
"Thanks, bro." I said as he walked out of my room.
"You're welcome." He said, smiling before closing the door and I got into my pyjamas.

I climbed into bed and shifted myself to be able to look out of the window and into the sky.
'Wish you were here, mum.'