Mourning (Taro Yamada)

(please consider voting and commenting!)

this might need some background info. so i watched the two part videos Dev made about Ayano and Taro's sanity (ik they're old videos, i like going back) when watching the second part and we hear Taro's voice lines of witnessing Osana die from poisoning, i got the sudden urge to write for it. Taro lost his best friend, seeing it before his eyes. he's obviously scarred for his life. (that's why when osana is in the game i'm never killing her that way, i'd rather get her with budo, her possible suitor) so i came up with a prompt sorta thing, where the reader lost her brother and runs into Taro at the cemetery at osanas grave.

warnings: angst, main character death, mega sad, car accidents, just rlly sad:(

i didn't proof read bc i'd cry again so sorry if there's typos

"Osana..? A-Are you okay? What's wrong, hey! Do you need any help?! Osana! Oh my god.. Osana! Answer me! Wake up, please! Wake up, don't do this! ..Oh god..! This can't be happening! No!"

This memory was in Taro's mind at almost every minute of every day. It got so severe that he stopped eating his lunch at school, being reminded of that awful, torturing event.

Taro lost his best friend after years of being so close. He was right there as she died. He saw it all. He could've done something, anything! He could've saved her somehow. But now she's gone, she's never coming back. And it was obvious.

Taro sat by Osana's grave every day after school, speaking to her and reading to her. He knew she wouldn't read with him, but he couldn't do anything alone. He loved her beyond words, and now she's gone. Reading was Taro's way to escape the real world, and transfer himself into an alternate universe. He read his favorite book to her, and when he finishes that, he'd read it again. And again.

While reading to her, Taro had her favorite music on. Osana loved J-Pop, it was the only thing she listened to! Taro didn't particularly like it, it was too much at once. He enjoyed more classical music, but it was Osana he was talking about. He'd do anything for her. He didn't mind listening to her favorite playlist, it almost felt like she was there next to him, telling him not to turn it off.

"You missed class again. We all miss you, we miss you a lot. Musume doesn't seem to even care.. I don't know why, you're an amazing friend." Taro said to her grave, sitting down and bowing to it. "Anyway, I got this new book I think you might like. I had you in mind when I picked it out. It's more modern and it's actually a manga. I know you liked those, so I thought I'd give it a try." He grabbed his phone and turned the familiar playlist on quietly. "I'm getting used to your music, it's actually not bad. I find myself playing it in my free time." Taro admitted and sighed. "I miss you, Osana."

He began reading to her, explaining the art as best as he could, since she couldn't see it. This was something he knew she could see from beyond the grave. The two were so close, Taro felt as if they were related. Brother and sister, it felt. Taro felt so close to her, and felt that Shinto would work the same. Shinto, a religion in Japan, is a religion where you worship ancestors/relatives, dead or not. Since the two were so close, Taro thought that she was next to him, reading along. He smiled.

"This panel looks pretty cool.. I hope you think so, too." He said, turning the page and reading to her. Although Taro knew English, he purposefully got a manga in strictly Japanese, reading to her in their native language.

The boy stayed next to her, sympathizing the other mourning people around him. He nodded to them and smiled sympathetically, continuing to read to her. Taro never saw anyone else visit Osana when he was here, and he felt that was for the better. Everyone knew their deep connection, and probably visited when he was there so they would disrupt the sad boy.