INTRO

originally posted 07/29/18

Pairing: mermaid!Tom x siren!Reader

Summary: when you thought you were dead, you got a chance at a second life

Word Count: 1K+

Peace.

That's how are mermaids are created.

Tragedy.

That's how sirens are born.

Mermaids are kind and beautiful, gifted with abilities to help promote the greater good.

Sirens are dark and evil, cursed with a deadly song that lead many men to their demise.

Mermaids are very in touch with the surface world, given their human-like nature and qualities.

Sirens couldn't be closer to the depths of the sea, living in the darkness amongst other horrid underwater creatures.

While mermaids populated the sea to protect it, sirens intended to survive and thrive...through carnage and bloodshed.

Sinking. That's the last you remember before it fading to black. You were sinking after having fallen into the water, as if something was pulling you down. You thrashed and kicked, trying to break away. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw a flicker of a dark figure. It looked like a tail.

You started to become exhausted by your efforts of trying to save yourself, accepting your tragic fate. Some people express that they'd never want to die by drowning and that it's the worst way to die. You had never really thought about it, actually. But here you are, 16 years old, death by drowning.

You imagined it would be painful. But it didn't hurt.

Why didn't it hurt?

It felt like something was cradling you as you sunk deeper, almost like you were being accepted by something.

Your eyes were beginning to flutter shut, looking up at the remaining light that shone through the water, trying to take in your last moments alive. Before you completely gave in, something quickly swam over you, showing off its dark tail.

After that, all you saw was black.

*

*

*

That was almost a month ago.

Waking up, you thought you would be in heaven and not still beneath the surface. You thought you would have wings like an angel instead of a fish tail and scales covering various parts of your body. And you definitely thought you would see God instead of a group of human-looking fish staring down at you.

Sirens. They're sirens.

Or at least, that's what you found out later.

A bigger, chief-looking siren emerged upon hearing of your awake state, introducing herself as Persephone. She explained that you had been taken in by her colony after drowning in an accident. Apparently there was huge storm while you were sailing with your parents on their boat. A powerful wave came and hit the side of the boat hard enough that you were knocked off and sucked into the sea. You were told that your parents were never found.

From then on, you were taught how to live the life of a siren.

There were a bunch of rules, more than you'd expect for such a small group. No going on land. No going on luring trips unless accompanied. No interacting with mermaids.