Part 1

originally posted 08/02/18

Pairing: mermaid!Tom x siren!Reader

Summary: five years later, the emerald tail is spotted again

Word Count: 3.5K+ some lil beginnings

(so sorry if the cute doesn't work!!)

Blue.

All you could see was clear blue. The open water was empty, serene. You kept swimming forward, hoping to see what you came looking for. You clawed through the water in larger stokes, pushing yourself forward at a quicker pace. Then, you saw it.

The Reef Kingdom.

You stopped in your wake, looking at the colorful, bright palace, taking in its beauty. You began to swim towards it when you saw a figure dash across a bed of coral, seeing a glimpse of a shiny, emerald—

Ding! Ding! Ding!

The breakfast bells rang out, rousing you from your dream. You rubbed your hand over your face, sighing.

You had this dream from time to time of you swimming towards the picturesque reef palace and seeing that emerald tail that you first saw almost five years ago—but you never saw the rest of the fantasy, always ending with a flash of green.

You slowly got out of bed, reluctantly leaving the plush seaweed mattress behind. You waded out towards the main dining area of the cave, joining your fellow sirens at the round table.

"Morning, Y/N," Circe greeted in a flat tone. Circe was Persephone's second-in-command and one of the toughest sirens in the colony. She liked to pick on you the most, as you were the youngest of the group. Lately she was really coming down hard on you and you knew exactly why.

"Good morning, everyone!" Persephone entered the room, looking rather chipper. The rest of you mumbled a 'morning' back, except for Circe who had a smile on her face, one of the few smiles you've seen from her.

There was light chatter through breakfast while you just picked at your fish, minding your business. You didn't really have any friends among the group, everyone else was either older and usually didn't have the same interests as you, which didn't include killing people.

"So, Y/N," Circe spoke up, "How're your lessons going?"

Your eyes widened slightly at her question. You had skipped your singing lesson the other day to go to the reef. You had actually skipped multiple times, wanting to get away from the siren routine to swim up to the reef and maybe even see some mermaids. Apparently she knew about this one time, but it seemed she hadn't told Persephone yet as she was just now throwing it out at you.

"Um, yeah, good." you answered with a tight-lipped smile.

Circe gave you a look of disbelief while Persephone seemed pleased, nodding at your answer.

After breakfast, you tried to quickly escape, making a beeline for the kitchen, but Circe had beat you to the door, blocking your path.

"And where do you think you're going?" Circe questioned, getting in your face.

"T-To the kitchen, to uh, help Phoebe start cooking lunch," you stammered.

Circe shook her head. "No, you're going to make up that lesson you missed. Right now," she ordered. "I know you've been skipping singing, Y/N. I don't know where you disappear off to but I will find out, so you better watch yourself and tread lightly," she added in a threatening tone.

You looked down, nodding your head, affirming that you heard her.

"Now," she spoke up again. "Your birthday is coming up and after that, your bait test. So you better get serious or you will face the consequences."