Part 6

originally posted 08/20/18

Pairing: mermaid!Tom x siren!Reader

Summary: you save the emerald tail

Word Count: 4K

"Y/N!"

"Sam?" You replied as he got closer to you. "Wha—"

"T-Tom, he's in trouble."

"What do mean–"

"Tom, he's been caught in a net—"

"What? How?"

"I'll tell you on the way over!" Sam grabs your hand, leading you over to the scene while telling you what happened.

"C'mon man, you can't sulk in here forever!" Sam protested, trying to coax his eldest brother out of bed, Tom's back facing towards them.

"Yeah, you need a distraction," Harry chimed in.

Tom didn't know how long it had been since he last saw you; he'd lost track. Few weeks? A month maybe? Whatever it was, it still felt like an eternity and he still had the rest of his life to go.

He was okay for the first couple of weeks, hiding his pain from his friends and family as best he could. He indulged in their efforts to help him move on and enjoy his life again, without you. But after a while it seemed like everything had been done to make him feel better and eventually, he had given up the ruse.

He had spent the last week in a lethargic, depressed state. He was in his room most of the time, wallowing in the past. He tried to keep himself busy by finding new hobbies or helping his father with his duties as King, but nothing seemed to excite him much anymore. He was already living in a colorful world, you just made it feel like paradise.

Now he stays up late, sleeps in even later, not having much energy to carry him through the day. His father worried for him, and would try to confront him from time to time but gave him his space. He didn't want to push his son, but he needed him to rise soon, to realize his responsibilities as prince, and soon-to-be King of the Reef.

The King expressed his concern to the twins, who have now taken upon themselves to help their older brother be his carefree, happy self again.

"We found this amazing cave that has these things that glow in the dark—ow!"

Sam swatted his twin on the back on the head. "Y/N lives in a cave, twat fish!" he scolded quietly.

"Oh right, sorry, um...oh! There's this sick current out by the jetty, it'll whip you around real good...it's a lot of fun!"

Tom continued to lay there, facing away from them. He was grateful for their efforts but his mind couldn't stop wandering back to you.

"I don't.... want to forget her," he mumbled loud enough for the pair the hear.

"You don't have to, Tom. We just wanna help you, please," Sam pleaded, his twin nodding in agreement.

Tom didn't move, making Sam slump in defeat, turning to leave the room.

"You tried, man," Harry voiced, following his brother.

Tom sighed, giving into their pleas. "Wait, guys," he called out, while sitting up and getting out of bed.

Tom followed them out of the Reef, feeling relief that the jetty was in the opposite direction of the siren cave. The water was beginning to get darker as the night took over. "It's kinda far, but we can always race there!" Sam exclaimed