Dioscuri

The next few weeks are hectic to say the least. Jake refuses to go back home, he's afraid if he leaves me alone something might happen. I try to tell him it's fine, that I carry a gun in my purse now but he doesn't listen. I've never seen someone so paranoid, he locks the door even when we're home. Bad things have been happening, retaliation from both sides. Houses being broken into, people getting their asses beat, tires slashed, etc. Jake thinks they're saving my place for last and that they might do something to put me in danger. So far nothing's happened but I'm expecting it to.

Thanksgiving is coming up in about two weeks which brings up the topic of family events. Specifically family events Jake isn't invited to. I went with Sam to his parents house last year for Thanksgiving and Christmas, there were no pictures of Jake, no hint that he even exists and they sure as hell didn't talk about him. All they mentioned about Josh was that he lives out of state and that he couldn't make it. At the time it all seemed very normal, especially considering I live pretty far from my mom (my dad's not really in the picture) and I don't always make it home for the holidays. Nothing about the situation seemed odd but I was obviously very wrong.

I don't know what to do for Thanksgiving. Sam invited me back to his parents, he said they really want me to go but when I asked if I could bring Jake it was an immediate and very stern no. I didn't expect anything else, I'm not sure why I even asked. Jake wants me to go up to Hood River and have dinner with the club. I asked if I could bring Sam, he said yes. So the dilemma is choosing where to go. I can't do both, I would if I could. I think my first plan of action is to convince Sam to let me bring Jake, if that fails then I still don't know what the fuck to do.

"You okay?" Jake asks, pulling me from my thoughts and passing me a joint.

"Fine." I smile and take the joint from him. South Park plays on the TV, Jake and I sitting across from each other on the couch. "I was just thinking about Thanksgiving. Your parents invited me over again, I want you to go with me."

He tenses up. "I think that's a bad idea."

"I know." I inhale deeply, speaking as the smoke leaves my lungs. "But maybe it's not."

"No, it is." He snatches the joint from me. "In fact, I think that's the worst idea you've ever had."

"Hey!" I nudge him with my foot. "You don't have to be rude."

"I'm just being honest." He smirks. "You always tell me you appreciate my honesty."

"I do." I scooch closer to him and lean on his shoulder. "If I can convince them to let you come, will you?"

He sighs. "I don't know..."

"Don't you wanna see them?" I steal the joint back.

"Of course I do." He wraps his arms around me loosely. "But I'm just not sure if I can."

"What do you mean?" I lean forward and put the joint out, placing it in the ashtray on the coffee table.

"It's been a long time, you know?" He pauses. "It's not exactly going to be, um easy." He clears his throat, a sure sign the conversation is getting uncomfortably deep for him.

"It'll be good though." I kiss his hand softly. "You know it will."

"Yeah." He sighs. "It's gonna be a lot to process. I mean what if..."

"What if?" I question.

"I don't know, so many things could happen. It scares me."

"I know."

"I'll think about it." He says.

"Good." I smile.

We spend the next couple of hours on the couch, laughing and talking. The time flies by and before I know it, I have to go to work. At least it's a Friday, should be somewhat busy, meaning more tips and my shift won't feel like it's dragging. Jake follows me to the door, he doesn't need the crutches anymore (thank god) and he took the stitches out a day or so ago. Just as I'm about to walk out the door he pushes me into the wall, kissing me deeply. I'm a bit taken aback as I wasn't expecting it at all. Usually I get a little peck before work, no tongue, nothing fancy. Sometimes it's just a small kiss on the cheek.